Ease of open heel fin removal and storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spring straps are God's gift to shore divers. Adding a set to your fins will be money well spent. They don and doff with ease.

Yes. And are indestructible, entanglement free, and won't detach themselves from the fins at the worst possible moment.

As your fins seat onto your booties they self adjust.

To some extent. A specific spring strap will fit a wide range of boot sizes, but if you're out of that range, they can't be adjusted. An ill fitting spring strap can be worse than even the worst rubber strap. Make sure to pick the right size!

One of these decades, an enterprising fin manufacturer will actually sell spring straps as part of the original fin purchase. Might even corner the fin market for a few seconds until all the other manufacturers follow suit.

some are doing so now.

Hollis and Dive Rite off the top of my head are two that know what divers want on their fins. And it ain't those crappy rubber straps.

One of these decades, an enterprising fin manufacturer will actually sell spring straps as part of the original fin purchase. Might even corner the fin market for a few seconds until all the other manufacturers follow suit.

i know of a few different type of fins that are selling them with the spring straps already on them. two off the top of my head are atomic and hollis....

If you are a shore diver, spring straps make a world of difference. They are one of the best, "no-regret" purchase/upgrades you can make.

Best wishes.

I switched to spring straps five years ago and they have more than payed for themselves. I was previously going through rubber straps at a rate of two to three a year. Virtually all the guys in my dive club have also switched because of the ease of use.

I can only second the earlier comments to get spring straps asap, especially when you are a Northern California diver:
With its beautiful kelp forest, entanglement of the rubber fin straps is not only a nuisance, but also not environmentally friendly, and can even cause to loose a fin.
And I have seen people who actually lost a fin in the surf of Monterey or Carmel, because it took them too long to don or doff them.

There is no need to spend 40 bucks, though:
first, you can get them for less than 25 a pair here: Piranha Dive Manufacturing
You need the "Post Type Fins" variant.

second, you can sell your original straps on ebay. Sell them individually, not as a pair!
And you will be surprized how much they fetch! Actually, when you look at the spare parts prices of Mares it's not such a big surprize. Likely you'll get your spring straps for free.
My USD0.02

After 6 boat dives following up my open water... Yeah, I'll have to get the spring straps. A pita these rubber straps are. I thought the buckle would break in by now and be a little easier to remove. But after your fingers/skin are soaked and I pull on those buckles and hit another plastic part, I risk also getting cuts. I saw our guide have them and they did don off/on easily, and he highly recommended them. So I"ll be purchasing a set once I'm back stateside.

I do not want a quick release on my fins. I am an active shore diver and I see no reason for spring straps. The rubber straps work perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom