Ease of open heel fin removal and storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get spring straps - best dollar-to-enjoyment ratio for your scuba buck.

The metal wire you saw are called spring straps. You'll want to get them ASAP.

For those of us who don't know, please explain why.

Seems I replied before reading far enough down the thread to see the explanations, but I don't see a way to retract the post. Sorry.

Last edited:
For those of us who don't know, please explain why.

Spring straps are super easy to get on and get off - I find them much easier than regular straps. Provided that you buy the correct size (and the sizing is very forgiving), when they are on they stay on and are never too tight. Removing them is effortless.

I believe that if shops gave you a "rent-to-own" option on spring straps, they would never get a single rental return.

Additional comment: my spring straps have a large plastic loop on them that you can fit your (gloved) finger into so that you can pull on/pull off the strap with one finger.

Check out the "universal straps" sold with the APS Mantaray fin. I generally dive Pacific NW in the Hollis F1, great fin comes with well made spring strap/finger pull but requires some leg to drive it.

I had the opportunity to check out the APS Mantaray fin and in general gave it a thumbs up and had no problem with with the rubber universal straps.

If I am correct, you remove the plastic buckle from the fin attachment post on your old fins and simply loop the universal strap over the post.

Spring straps have to be purchased/sized for the footwear/fins you are using. They are not one size fits all. If you dive different configurations ie; different dry suits or switch from dry to wet suits. The spring straps may not fit well on all configurations.

Spring straps have to be purchased/sized for the footwear/fins you are using. They are not one size fits all. If you dive different configurations ie; different dry suits or switch from dry to wet suits. The spring straps may not fit well on all configurations.

My open heel wetsuit fins are size L and my drysuit open heel fins are size XL. I bought a set of spring straps for both.

Check out the "universal straps" sold with the APS Mantaray fin.
[...]
I had the opportunity to check out the APS Mantaray fin and in general gave it a thumbs up and had no problem with with the rubber universal straps.

If I am correct, you remove the plastic buckle from the fin attachment post on your old fins and simply loop the universal strap over the post.

Those make great spare straps for your save-a-dive kit, but I would stay away from them otherwise.

The problem is that if you happen to pull on the strap in the wrong direction when you put the fin on, they come undone. And you need two hands, a fair amount of muscle and some dexterity to reattach the strap to the fin.

Murphy predicted that would happen on a shore dive in large surf, cold water, thick gloves, and one fin still in your hand. Murphy got it right a number of times before I switched to spring straps.

Yes. And are indestructible, entanglement free, and won't detach themselves from the fins at the worst possible moment.

To some extent. A specific spring strap will fit a wide range of boot sizes, but if you're out of that range, they can't be adjusted. An ill fitting spring strap can be worse than even the worst rubber strap. Make sure to pick the right size!

Not quite indestructible. I had one come apart at depth, that sucked. My fins do stick like they're glued to my boots however.

I have had back surgery with fusion. Lost 50% of the mobility in my lower back. The spring straps are excellent. It makes it much easier to get them on and off. I will buy more if these ever fail. I did keep the old rubber straps for my save-a-dive kit.

Back
Top Bottom