Easy Tank Strap from Scuba Solutions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like a pretty cool item. It looks like it belongs on a BC since it is plastic. I think I prefer the XS Bands posted by OzGriffo better. Stainless Steel and webbing will hold up better than plastic.

Last edited:
It looks as though it would be really easy to put a piece of webbing on some Velcro and make a flap to cover the mechanism, if you dove where there was a lot of fishing line or lots of nets. Or even easier, a piece of nylon with some Velcro that would wrap around the strap, like the things that fasten duffel bag handles together.

I'd be more concerned about the durability of the parts, since the lever portion appears to be plastic. I'll be interested to see how these last for the folks who are using them. Heaven knows, there ought to be a better mechanism that cam buckles. My husband still can't figure out how to thread them :)

Unfortunately , I have a diver friend the used them with heavy tanks (120 & 121 steels) and they can't hold the weight.. Said weak part is the plastic thread. Nice idea, but not heavy duty enough for steel tanks. I used the older style Scuba Pro SS snaps and have held for many years. Good idea Scuba Solutions, but need to tough them up.

That's the same basic mechanism that holds snowboard boots in bindings. They work good for that application but they can also pop if ratcheted down too tight (at least my Burton's do :)) And once in a while they pop anyway. I would never trust one to hold a tank

I tried to post last night that i was contacted by the inventor. The minimum order info I was told by the booth Attendant was wrong. He let me know what it actually is and it is more than fair. You may see these on my site once I have had a chance to use and abuse them myself and see how the hold up.

Thanks for the update, Jim. I just got an E-Mail telling us that the minimum order is only 5 for a shop! I have two and have dove them. They worked well and were easier than the traditional straps. As many tanks as I have seen dangling due to the difficulty of the traditional cam straps, I don't think an occasional "pop" would come close! :D Of course, I have a two band system, so my chances are pretty slim that BOTH tank straps will pop. So far, I am giving this product two fins up!

Yes they were introducing them at DEMA this year and boy, talk about 'building a better mousetrap!' Really first class, simple to use, reliable, and I trust you'll see all sorts of variants of this product popping up in most of the major manufacturers lines soon!

It will be interesting to see who else copies the basic design but 'hardens' it to 'mil-spec' (real world abuse/durability) standards...at which point I'll upgrade to them....but definitely not now as they're sounding substantially under engineered at present.

here are mine....very similar...I made these this summer from some whitewater kayak back band ratchets 63 dives on them and not one complaint aside from now I have to wait on everyone else to get there tanks swapped over....
IMGP1237.jpg

I'm wondering if they would work with trim wt pouches on the tank bands. I use the XS Scuba pouches on my top band.

there not in the pic above but I use the D.R. 5lb max ones on my top band when I dive dry....works great and you dont have to completely remove the strap to install/remove then which is a huge plus in my book

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom