Electonic Log Books Not Accepted!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Umm quick question, you said they were a PADI shop and that you had your C-Card. Arent all PADI shops required to accept C-Cards as proof of cert?

Exactly! Handwritten only means not-computerized. Any log book is an honor system, signatures and stickers notwithstanding. (I do like to collect the stickers/stamps, though... a weird little fetish of mine, I guess.)

I was thinking about scanning my paper logbook and making .pdfs of it as a backup in case the originals were lost. I suppose one could print that out and have each page notarized... though a dive shop might completely freak out if presented with such a beast. It seems to me that a dive computer would include the owner's serial number (assuming the owner never "shared" the computer...). Who would let someone "borrow" his or her dive data, anyway? That seems completely farfetched.

J.R.:
Umm...

As your contemplating entering into a contractual arrangement wherein they seem to feel some legal or policy obligation to validate your creditals... I figure that it would only be fair for you to do likewise... therefore I would suggest that you:

1: Ask to see the log books of all diving personel the company is providing on the trip.
2: Ask to see any information the company may have relevant to accidents on their watch.
3: Ask to see their proof of insurance, limits and proof of currancy.
4: Ask to speak to their insurance rep to validate their claims.

Tell them that it is YOUR policy so as to assure yourself of their capabilities and level of qualifications to provide the service they claim to be able to provide. DO NOT ACCEPT electronic or facsimile documents... insist on originals only. Just 'cause it says "PADI" or "SSI" or anything else on the front door isn't PROOF they are what they claim... any you're putting yourself in THEIR hands when you sign up with them... shouldn't you be allowed validation they're qualified???

... just a though...

5: I'd also ask to see maintenance records on any equipment you may rent... service records on the vessel... and a certified copy of the vessel's last safety inspection.

Now... you and I both know you won't get any of this... but it would be fun to see the look on their face. ... and, one has to ask... "Why should I have to prove to you things you expect me to take on faith?"

Hummm....

6: Current captains licences and certified copies of the boats last safety inspection
7: All captain, mates, DM Drug testing for the past 12 months (like its the Islands Mon, you no do the Gunga?)

ReefHound:
Talking here about what you could ask or tell the dive shop is fun, but the OP has said he doesn't want to get on their bad side as he may be doing much more diving in the area and they may be the only game in town. So, as much as it's wrong in principle, it may be most strategic to just pay the $20 for the checkout and move on.

You could always deduct it out of their would-be tips later. :D

Yea... this would probably be the most effective and realistic approach... if ya' tipped at all. I used to know a guy who had some 'business cards' printed up that read, "Due to the lousy service there will be no tip." He'd leave those to make sure they understood that the lack of tip wasn't an oversight.

I guess I just have an issue with people and agencies who say "trust me"... but don't reciprocate... :14:

Sounds like the Honduran "I gotta see your medical certificate" and if you don't have a recent one the van to the "clinic" and exam is $40 before you get to dive. I

I agree... print your log and if they don't accept it, tell them you will not dive with them for that reason. They need to get with the times... computers are here to stay.

I had PADI shops ask me to do checkout dives many times because my original LAC c-card is from the 60's and they didn't know what LAC certification meant (understandable) even though the founders of many of the other agencies came out of that program themselves.

I keep my log on-line on my web site, but usually prit out hard copy if I'm traveling out of region. Of course as a solo diver, I have no one signing my log as a buddy.

lil $20 pool session pimps!!!

So I met another DM the following morning and talked about getting out on a boat trip with them. I showed them my C-card and explained my dive history. They had me fill out some paper work and release forms and told me to keep my out for them in the afternoon. They were going to teach a lesson in the pool and then take the group out for their OW dive. They were very professional and made no mention of the requirement to see a log book.

As it ended I got an offer I could not refuse that took up my entire morning. By the time I returned to the resort I watched the boat depart from the dock. It was probally for the best since the boat only went out a few hundred yards from the shore right infront of the resort. It saved me $50 on a crappy dive. I ended up putting on mask and free diving right in the same area as the boat.

Nautical Dreamer:
So I met another DM the following morning and talked about getting out on a boat trip with them. I showed them my C-card and explained my dive history. They had me fill out some paper work and release forms and told me to keep my out for them in the afternoon. They were going to teach a lesson in the pool and then take the group out for their OW dive. They were very professional and made no mention of the requirement to see a log book.

As it ended I got an offer I could not refuse that took up my entire morning. By the time I returned to the resort I watched the boat depart from the dock. It was probally for the best since the boat only went out a few hundred yards from the shore right infront of the resort. It saved me $50 on a crappy dive. I ended up putting on mask and free diving right in the same area as the boat.

ok i realize you dont want to come across as bashing anyone, so lets forget about the dive op for the moment: im really curious at least where you are in the carrib.

when i was in the area north of kona, hawaii, i did a ton of shore diving and was always amused by the boats that would come to the area we were diving. we were pretty happy to be paying 5 or something dollars per tank and fill and doing three dives a day and being able to methodically work our way up and down the coast at will instead of paying full retail and time taking a boat from kona.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom