End of R109s Life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your tech may be knowledgible but I would not trust him. I have had no problem with verdigris (green) buildup on any of my older (and pretty bad shape) metals. I am extra careful about rinsing the ambient chamber after each dive but the 2nd stages don't get any special care. On Flower Gardens trips they go 3 to 5 days without being rinsed with no problem.

If there is not verdigris buildup to interfere with the spring action, I guess it does not much matter whether it is the light balanced spring or the heavier unbalanced spring. On most of my rigs, my primary is balanced and my alt is unbalanced. My impression is that the unbalanced version is a bit less sensetive to current and surge. It breathes almost as well and parts are easier to come be and cheaper.

I would keep it unbalanced for the simplicity and not worry about the verdigris.

Click on Awap's profile and inside you can see a diagram of a balanced poppet design. The unbalanced is similar enough to make the point. Notice that the spring's and poppets movement would not be impeded by verdigris.

c

IMO, the tech is being overly conservative and / or trying to sell you a new regulator.

If he does convince you of replacing the regulator, make sure it doesn’t go to waist. In this thread alone there are several people that would put it to good use.

Oh, I do like the balanced adjustable conversion, but both are good performers. I think the light spring in the balanced adjustable saves the seat from early indentation.

I think the light spring in the balanced adjustable saves the seat from early indentation.

The light spring and thinner seat material may both contribute to reduced engraving. I store all my metal 2nds with the purge button slightly depressed to avoid engraving of the seat. One note of caution: when stored with the purge depressed, the diaphram cover may take a slight set resulting in a freeflow when first connected (it recovers fairly quickly. So use something as thin as possible to hold the purge down.

Also, with the unbalanced version, you can flip the seat after a number of years of use and it is as good as new. Double the pleasure, double the fun.

Double the pleasure, double the fun.

It sounds like you need a double hose regulator. Then you realy double your fun... :wink:

Are the seats on the new replacement poppet for the non-balanced adjustable reversible?
I know in many, if not most non-balanced downstream demand valves the seats are reversible, but the old Scubapro poppet the seat was molded on to the poppet. I haven’t looked closely at the new ones.

Yes, they will lift out with a finger nail and reverse on the current poppet.

I did my first dive in 1964 with no training on a double hose regulator. But I don't use the old metal for the nostalgia. I put my Mk20/G500 in the "plastic" reserves after I discovered the simple, rugged, reliable, high performance of these old metals.

OK, I may end up hating myself for doing this, but I just bought a used MK5/R109, it came in today & has not been serviced. This is an older one, it has 1 HP port & only 2 LP ports on the turret. The R109 chrome has some scratching but looks to be in generally good condition. The 1st stage has some scuffed edges on it but doesn't look too bad.

My plan was to have it serviced by George & keep it as a backup to my Mk5 set. But if you really think you need a 2nd stage I'd be willing to part with the reg. Money's tight right now & it won't get serviced or used any time soon any way, so I can always find another one later.

That single HP port is probably 3/8th so it will need an adapter to handle a 7/16th HP hose. The 2 LP port turret may be a problem. Upgrade 4 or 5 port turrents are pretty hard to come by.

Back
Top Bottom