Energy Drinks and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like anything else, energy drink consumption requires the individual using the supplement to monitor his intake and how his body reacts to the contents of the drink. Those people with heart palpitations? I bet they were either sensitive to caffeine, or hit a few of them in a row. I've felt the effects of having one too many, it's disconcerting to say the least.

That being said, I'm more or less an energy drink addict. While you MAY not want me diving with one in my system, you most certainly DO NOT want me diving without one in me. Also, I keep my intake of water and/or gatorade consistent with my energy drink intake by volume, if not erring on the side of hydration. After a 16 ounce Monster, I will have a 20-ounce gatorade or 24 of water. Period.

In the end: You're responsible for your body and what you put into it.

Peace,
Greg

The only real thing I'd be concerned about is: Are the "stimulants" in these energy drinks effecting the oxygen toxicity threshold at elevated PP02.

Heart problems from them in a healthy individual would be a stretch I'd imagine.

Thanks everyone for the info so far. Some interesting comments have been made. Cocaine in RB? Wow, how could that get in there?
The tests were originally done following tests in Germany and Taiwan that were positive for cocaine. The amounts are miniscule and not a health hazard. The theory being floated is that it was from "impurities in the herbal raw material."

From the South China Morning Post:

Further tests fail to find cocaine in Red Bull products

The government said further tests on samples of the energy drink Red Bull had found no cocaine, despite earlier tests in the city and overseas finding traces of the drug. It advised the public not to consume Red Bull and Commissioner for Narcotics Sally Wong Pik-yee advised retailers who had not removed the products from shelves to follow the major chains in doing so. She suggested the products should be returned to the suppliers. The government said no prosecution was planned over the import or sale of the products, because traders had not known of the cocaine, but future imports or sales might be liable to prosecution.

I used to drink LOTS of energy drinks, like NOS, RB, Rip-its just about every drink out there, I found some to cause my heart to race.

I used to drink them on long shifts at work, found that drinking to many tended to make me slur my speak, much like being drunk . . .

Haven't had one in a couple months and man do I feel good, even cut coffee out, replaced it with a caffiene free tea, or occasionally a green tea. . .

I cant stand the taste of energy drinks but a few years ago when I drank instead of dove it was popular to mix those energy drinks with alcohol. Alcohol is a depressant and energy drinks are stimulants. The combination of depressants and stimulants killed my father so its enough of a reason for me to avoid the combo.

Mixing any drug, especially those you cant pronounce with diving is not something that interests me.

Also, be aware that the strength of these drinks can differ from location to location internationally.

I was once told that the Red Bull available in Thailand would be illegal for sale in Europe. I can believe that....because the Thai energy drinks leave me shaking and sometimes palpitations.... there is no way I would use them within 12 hours pre-dive.

I used to drink LOTS of energy drinks, like NOS, RB, Rip-its just about every drink out there, I found some to cause my heart to race.

I used to drink them on long shifts at work, found that drinking to many tended to make me slur my speak, much like being drunk . . .

Haven't had one in a couple months and man do I feel good, even cut coffee out, replaced it with a caffiene free tea, or occasionally a green tea. . .
Also, be aware that the strength of these drinks can differ from location to location internationally.

I was once told that the Red Bull available in Thailand would be illegal for sale in Europe. I can believe that....because the Thai energy drinks leave me shaking and sometimes palpitations.... there is no way I would use them within 12 hours pre-dive.
I don't think I want anything to do with them from those reports. :shocked2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom