Energy Drinks and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure on the truth to this. From time to time I work at electric generating stations. On one big project a notice came around that certain energy drinks were not allowed on the job site since they contained alcohol. If anyone was caught with these they were fired and banned from any of the companies properties.
With that said I'm sure that you would have to drink several of them in a short time. But still something that I really don't need to try while diving.

I know that Monster says right on the can not to drink more than 3 per day. I also know that when I was scared (rightly so) about getting blown up while on long patrols in 135 degree heat in Iraq I drank about 10 of those things per day. I came back fine (other than the PTSD and propensity for diving under tables during loud noises of course).:wink:

*twitch*

*twitch*

For what it's worth I usally drink either a large coffee or a Monster before I dive, I have a good SAC rate, and my heart hasn't exploded yet either. I'm sure the air you are breathing in any major city is probably worse than caffeine.

*twitch*

I know that Monster says right on the can not to drink more than 3 per day. I also know that when I was scared (rightly so) about getting blown up while on long patrols in 135 degree heat in Iraq I drank about 10 of those things per day. I came back fine (other than the PTSD and propensity for diving under tables during loud noises of course).:wink:

*twitch*

*twitch*

For what it's worth I usally drink either a large coffee or a Monster before I dive, I have a good SAC rate, and my heart hasn't exploded yet either. I'm sure the air you are breathing in any major city is probably worse than caffeine.

*twitch*

You mean you didnt snag a case of Rip its from the DFAC or class 1 yard, much cheaper :D

I find that RedBull calms me down when I'm stressed. I used to buy it by the case at Costco. The small cans no longer calm me down, I have to buy the extra large can to get relaxed. Nothing like a super cold can of RedBull when I need to unwind. I've tried other drinks such as Monster and NOS, I don't like the way they taste and find they to not relax me. But, I've never had to drink RedBull before or after a dive because I'm already relaxed when diving. Its just work and home that gets me stressed. :)

All these so called Energy drinks come at a cost. For the younger divers, there is probably very little clinical relevance, other than theoretical. They are potent cardiac stimulants and vasoconstrictors ; the propensity to achieve that varying with each individual. As such, they can raise blood pressure, produce abnormal heart rhythms, create "shunting" of blood both systemically and within the lungs. This may have consequences in gas uptake and off loading and hence heighten risk of DCS. They may also unmask pre existing cardiovascular problems, such as the propensity to develop abnormal rhythms.
In those of us with identifiable cardiac risk factors, I certainly would not recommend them. But going cold turkey can precipitate vascular headaches etc.
There are much more benign ways to stay hydrated in the absence of such drinks.
If your dive buddy stated that he/she required a stimulant to feel clear headed for a dive, wouldn't you be worried ?

All these so called Energy drinks come at a cost. For the younger divers, there is probably very little clinical relevance, other than theoretical. They are potent cardiac stimulants and vasoconstrictors ; the propensity to achieve that varying with each individual. As such, they can raise blood pressure, produce abnormal heart rhythms, create "shunting" of blood both systemically and within the lungs. This may have consequences in gas uptake and off loading and hence heighten risk of DCS. They may also unmask pre existing cardiovascular problems, such as the propensity to develop abnormal rhythms.
In those of us with identifiable cardiac risk factors, I certainly would not recommend them. But going cold turkey can precipitate vascular headaches etc.
There are much more benign ways to stay hydrated in the absence of such drinks.
If your dive buddy stated that he/she required a stimulant to feel clear headed for a dive, wouldn't you be worried ?

You sound like a Doc, so I have a few questions if I may:

-I am a perfectly healthy 29 year old who exercises 4-6 days a week. Are these energy drinks (in sugar free form) doing anything detrimental to me?

-Do you think this would effect my SAC rate? It doesn't seem to.

Thanks in advance Doc.

Other than that, no problem.

Having reached and even surpassed the age where these things really start to be a concern, especially given the very high percentage of cardiac issues related to the fatalities in the DAN studies, I stay away from anything like this prior to a dive. I leave those things to the young and invulnerable.

And I thought "snake oil" went out of fashion 50>60 years ago...WRONG!! magic magic everywere. Ok I'm an old soul thats true.....but back in my day, you know when we had to walk 10 miles to school up hill both ways.....need some energy? how about a couple of peaches, a plum, and maybe a bannanna(so your mussels don't tighten) My point is very simple....ENERGY is stored in FOOD.....not in a "pasturized" drink of any kind. A chemical boost is not productive to the body....do all the tests you want. Stay up 48 hours at a time....enjoy.....talk to me when your 50.....

I find that RedBull calms me down when I'm stressed. I used to buy it by the case at Costco. The small cans no longer calm me down, I have to buy the extra large can to get relaxed. Nothing like a super cold can of RedBull when I need to unwind. I've tried other drinks such as Monster and NOS, I don't like the way they taste and find they to not relax me. But, I've never had to drink RedBull before or after a dive because I'm already relaxed when diving. Its just work and home that gets me stressed. :)

red bull would do the exact opposite for me, it put me on edge, and I didn;t sleep great . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom