Energy Drinks and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Slonda,
Depending on how often you take these drinks, the type and volume you consume. If you consume them often and regularly, say daily, then your body will gradually become tolerant to some extent. Nevertheless, the effect of chronic circulatory stimulation does have long term effects on blood pressure, kidneys etc, culminating in some damage. Whether this becomes clinically problematic will depend on other factors. Remember, these drinks can't be considered in isolation ; it is the interplay of risk factors, such as diet, lipid levels, smoking history, genetics etc that all play a role.
Again, I believe they have very little role in enhancing anything but risk.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Combat storys and the likes can now be found in the Pub
Go play over there.
This is Basic Scuba.So stay on topic or stay out
Thank you

I can't seem to find any "Good Press" on these drinks except for in the manufacturers advertising. How many countries in Europe and the rest of the world have banned them? Does anyone know? They're really popular here on Maui, especially with the drinking crowd. I see people drinking them for breakfast too...that can't be a good way to start the day...and the taste...yuck!

It seems to me that most of you are being cautious about them and staying away. I guess the demographics here on SB is different then the consumer demographics of our tourism/visitor industry. Does this indicate that SCUBA Divers are smarter than the average bear??

Why can't we just have an energy drink that tastes good, has healthy ingredients, and doesn't have bad side effects? I mean, besides water? Everything I look at is full of High Fructose Corn syrup and artificial sweeteners which, as far as I'm concerned, are not good for people.

In addition to being a dive guide, among other things, I'm also in the health food business and I'm waiting for the worlds newest energy drink to come out from the company I work with. It should be available very soon...within a week or so. It's very appealing to me since it is supposed to be very good for you and still provide lot's of energy. It has No Preservatives, No Artificial Colors, No Artificial Flavors, No Artificial Sweeteners, Enhanced Performance, Boosts of Endurance, Increased Alertness, No Jitters, and Fights Fatigue, all the while Promoting Clarity, Focus, Vigor and Vitality. I like the sounds of that, don't you? I'll let you know how it tastes and how it makes me feel sometime after June 24th!! That's when I should get my first taste and I'll try it on a dive.

Thanks for chiming in everyone. I was really interested in hearing people's opinions on this stuff and you all came forward quite quickly and with lots of info to consider. Mahalo!!

I feel like I've been watching a moderately interesting show, only to find out in the last ten minutes it's an infomercial. I think this is where you are supposed to slip in the bikinied babe with the hot smile, who is holding a can of whatever goodness you are fixing to sell. :wink:

Seriously, good luck Doug.

I can't seem to find any "Good Press" on these drinks except for in the manufacturers advertising. How many countries in Europe and the rest of the world have banned them? Does anyone know? They're really popular here on Maui, especially with the drinking crowd. I see people drinking them for breakfast too...that can't be a good way to start the day...and the taste...yuck!

It seems to me that most of you are being cautious about them and staying away. I guess the demographics here on SB is different then the consumer demographics of our tourism/visitor industry. Does this indicate that SCUBA Divers are smarter than the average bear??

Why can't we just have an energy drink that tastes good, has healthy ingredients, and doesn't have bad side effects? I mean, besides water? Everything I look at is full of High Fructose Corn syrup and artificial sweeteners which, as far as I'm concerned, are not good for people.

In addition to being a dive guide, among other things, I'm also in the health food business and I'm waiting for the worlds newest energy drink to come out from the company I work with. It should be available very soon...within a week or so. It's very appealing to me since it is supposed to be very good for you and still provide lot's of energy. It has No Preservatives, No Artificial Colors, No Artificial Flavors, No Artificial Sweeteners, Enhanced Performance, Boosts of Endurance, Increased Alertness, No Jitters, and Fights Fatigue, all the while Promoting Clarity, Focus, Vigor and Vitality. I like the sounds of that, don't you? I'll let you know how it tastes and how it makes me feel sometime after June 24th!! That's when I should get my first taste and I'll try it on a dive.

Thanks for chiming in everyone. I was really interested in hearing people's opinions on this stuff and you all came forward quite quickly and with lots of info to consider. Mahalo!!

I use to take it during my long drive (600KM) RB, I don't feel tired or sleepy , no wonder?? this is not good on diving activities, as northwood diver said, it's a stimulant kind of drinks?

35 posts in less than 2 days...looks like it's an interesting topic no matter how you look at it. I think we all consider safety a top priority in our sport. Noone wants to knowingly add risk to an already potentially risky situation.

*Dave* I'm pleased to see divers being cautious and educated about the claims of todays wide selection of energy drinks. Not trying to make a sale here, instead just doing some research on the opinions and perceptions of my peers. Many are using their head and not mixing them with SCUBA just because they think they don't need to take a chance on an unknown. These drinks are so NEW to humans, who knows what the long term side effects could be? I sure don't know the answer but I know which way I'm leaning...

It's a universal understanding throughout the ages and cultures: You are what you eat.

I'll have a good supply of my new drink on hand when I dive so if you make it to Maui and want to check it out yourself please feel free to come find me down by the sea shore. I'm changing out my cooler from Cokes and Mountain Dews to Odwalla juices and my new stuff and of course, the water will stay (...just wishing I could get away from the single use plastic bottles. They just make it so convenient to store and serve...it's kind of a catch 22...have you heard of the Pacific Trash Vortex? Anyway, that's a whole 'nother story...).

Thanks again for your input everyone. I've learned a lot from you guys. The links were quite interesting and informative. Oh and thanks to you too 300bar for ending the hijack!! You rock!

of course, the water will stay (...just wishing I could get away from the single use plastic bottles. They just make it so convenient to store and serve...it's kind of a catch 22...have you heard of the Pacific Trash Vortex? Anyway, that's a whole 'nother story...).

I have been on a number of boats recently that had a large cooler full of ice water. Passengers put their names or initials on cups that were reused throughout the dive. They had a clothes line with clips for storage.

I have been on other boats that used the bottles but had the passengers initial the bottles so that they cold be refilled from the cooler. That used bottles once and left the storage to the diver.

Both of those minimize but do not eliminate waste.

When I was a youth soccer coach, I had a cooler plus permanent cups with markings to distinguish one from the other. You could do the same thing on a boat with cheap water bottles. I have never seen it done, but I think it would work fine. I would not hesitate to use them, and I would appreciate the operator's approach.

Every little bit helps.

BTW, I once took a graduate course on nutrition for athletes back in my coaching days. I read a study that had been sponsored by Gatorade, the purpose of which was to determine what an athlete should drink during competition to improve performance. This was back in the days before Gatorade had all the competition it has today, so it is obvious what they thought the winner would be when they sponsored the study.

The study found that the best thing to drink during athletic performance was just plain water.

Hi Slonda,
Depending on how often you take these drinks, the type and volume you consume. If you consume them often and regularly, say daily, then your body will gradually become tolerant to some extent. Nevertheless, the effect of chronic circulatory stimulation does have long term effects on blood pressure, kidneys etc, culminating in some damage. Whether this becomes clinically problematic will depend on other factors. Remember, these drinks can't be considered in isolation ; it is the interplay of risk factors, such as diet, lipid levels, smoking history, genetics etc that all play a role.
Again, I believe they have very little role in enhancing anything but risk.

Doc,

Are these risks that you describe unique to energy drinks, or would you say the same thing about regular coffee? I know that both have caffeine in them, but is there something inherent to the formulation of most energy drinks that makes them worse? I've read several health and fitness articles espousing the benefits of coffee. Thanks in advance.

Healthy and good tasting energy drinks have been around forever: coffee, tea, mate, etc. The problem is they are not that "cool".

The nutrition for athletes course I took taught us the full energy-producing processes the body uses. It also taught us that the fuels the body uses in those processes are already in your body long before the event for which they are needed. Nutrition you consume during competition or immediately before competition has very little potential to help you and a lot of potential to harm you.

Taking straight sugars (like high fructose corn syrup), for example, results in a quick high followed by a spike of insulin that hinders the ability to create energy, especially for the brain. (A high carbohydrate breakfast is followed by late morning sleepiness.)

Years ago a diet was created specifically for the Stanford University swim team (I am going from memory here, so I may have some details wrong) that was extremely effective. The principles on which it was based are still with us today--it is the Zone Diet. The basic ideas of it are consistent with many of the other popular diets today, most of which reverse the former trend toward high carbs.

The main idea is that every time we eat anything, it has a predictable effect on the body. Think of it as the equivalent of taking a drug. If you eat something that is pretty much all protein, it will have one effect; if you eat primarily carbohydrate, it has another. The effects of high carbohydrate--typical energy drinks--are particularly poor. (BTW, the Zone says the very worst food you can eat if on a diet is a rice cake!)

The theory says that the best thing to do is to eat a proper balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrate every time you eat or drink. A zone practitioner, for example, will make sure to add some fat and protein of some kind to the morning oatmeal breakfast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom