Entering the water when shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with everyone that says fins off and just get in as fast and deep as you can. And then use your spring straps to put your fins on in about 10 seconds.
I usually am more worried about getting out of the water then in it.

It seems we're all in agreement about fins off until waist deep water. Rick, thanks for your post about fins on when doing deep water entries at the shore; it's how I did it in Coz, and it's basically no different than any other giant stride off a boat.

Melvin, your argument for an empty BC sure is compelling. I recently noticed that my wife does almost the same thing, only that she inflates her bc after the fins are on and when standing in water chest deep. Of course, for her that's a lot closer to the shore than for me, she's one of those little petite sweeties, and although I'm no giant, I usually can get a few feet further in than she can before I'm chest deep. Like her, I also inflate my bc after I put my jetfins on, so I can power through any remaining surf, and I usually start swimming on my back as I inflate. We both do it this way because we dive with rear inflation BCs which tend to bob you on your face if you don't lean into them, and you can't do that without fins very well.

Have not had to duck under the swell and "grab the sand" as you mention, though it's certainly a technique worth exploring at some point (to see if it works for me).

Back
Top Bottom