entry/exit in surge, waves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On a few boat dives I have found myself climbing a ladder in waves and surge. Typically I keep a wary eye on the oscillating ladder, and when it is my turn I swim up to it, latch on with one arm while on my knees on the ladder, and pull off my fins with the other arm, passing them to the waiting deck hand. Then, I climb out. Some ladders are made to be easy to use with fins on - in those cases, I keep my fins on if so instructed by the deck hand.

It recently occurred to me that this whole process of exit might be made easier if I could secure my fins before I approach the ladder and keep both hands free. One way to accomplish this might be with a 10 inch length of 1 inch webbing with a D-ring on one end and a bolt snap on the other - you could pass the 10 inch strap through both fin heel straps, then loop the snap bolt through the D-ring and clip off the fins on your rear crotch-strap D-ring.

Is there already such a device? Or am I looking for a technological solution to a problem that can be handled a different way? I could throw together a suitable strap system easily, but I don't want to end up looking like a Christmas tree.

FWIW, I did a search:

site:scubaboard.com entry exit surge fins strap

and didn't find what I was looking for.

Friends of mine who do a lot of surf entries use this:

CK-FK001.jpg

If you want to take your fins off and keep your hands free, just slip them over your arms. It's quick and requires no extra gadgets, and you have them with you if you have to come off the ladder.

A majority of my dives are shore dives with surf entries. If I'm doing a typical dive with my regular buddies, then I'll just hang onto the fins with my hands or slip the straps over my wrists.

If I'm diving with newbie divers who might need help in the surf zone, I'll bring along a gadget similar to the picture in TSandM's post (mine has two bolt snaps on it). It's really easy to lose stuff when you're focused on helping someone else. FWIW, I've also seen local UW photographers who use similar straps since their hands are occupied with cumbersome camera gear.

Before you get gadgets, try swimming back to the ladder without your fins in a good surge or swell. You may find it easier to prepare for exit with one hand gripping the ladder and one foot fending off while removing a fin with the other hand. Putting knees on a ladder seems like my teeth would be uncomfortably close to metal. OND

If you want to take your fins off and keep your hands free, just slip them over your arms. It's quick and requires no extra gadgets, and you have them with you if you have to come off the ladder.

Unfortunately my spring straps won't allow the fins to slip over my dryglove rings.

It recently occurred to me that this whole process of exit might be made easier if I could secure my fins before I approach the ladder and keep both hands free. One way to accomplish this might be with a 10 inch length of 1 inch webbing with a D-ring on one end and a bolt snap on the other - you could pass the 10 inch strap through both fin heel straps, then loop the snap bolt through the D-ring and clip off the fins on your rear crotch-strap D-ring.

Is there already such a device? Or am I looking for a technological solution to a problem that can be handled a different way? I could throw together a suitable strap system easily, but I don't want to end up looking like a Christmas tree.

My local LDS sold these fin clips for shore divers. The strap is sewn onto the brass ring and is always on the BC and you pass an end of the quick release through the fin straps to connect to the other end.

That said, this is sold specifically for shore divers who are already in standing depth water and want both hands free to steady themselves, perhaps clambering over rocks in surf. I'm not sure how comfortable I would be boat diving with my fins clipped away and not already in contact with the ladder.

(This doesn't have anything to do with clips and stuff.) Most of the boats I have dove off of leave a trailing current line off the end of the boat. If seas are rough I come up to within about six feet of the back of the boat, holding on to this line, and take my fins off. I either hand or throw them to the deck hand. I never slip them over my wrist. If I am in rough swells I aproach the ladder and hold on with one hand. When it bottoms out I place both hands on the sides and both feet on the bottom rung with bent knees. When the ladder rises to it's top position I stand erect. Then as the ladder falls again I step up letting gravity do the work. I do this several times until I hit the top of the ladder and then let the boat crew lead me to my seat so I don't fall on my arse. I have dove off of boats with a ladder with open sides which you can ascend without taking off your fins but I take them off anyway because they make ascending too clumsy.

How are you going to do this with one hand? If you are in high seas, surge, probable current, you are going to be holding on to a current line with one hand. If you let go to attach fins then you will be finless against the current. I hold with one hand, remove fin, place it between knees, then run hand and wrist through the strap. I end up with both fins on my right hand and line in my left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom