Entry Level Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm using an IST GP-3000...it's easy to use, has some advanced features (two gas mixes, change between on the fly), but nobody I've met has heard of that brand before for some reason. I'm happy with it though. It comes in both wrist and puck types.

Buy a pair of Zoops. Inexpensive and nitrox compatible. Their illumination (or lack thereof) sux on night dives, but you've got your flashlight out anyway.

Personally, I've had good experiences with oceanic/aeris, mares, and uwatec computers!

As long as you aren't doing anything with multiple gases/deco you have a lot of choices! You would have a hard time finding a computer now that doesn't handle nitrox, and many (not ALL...) have user replaceable batteries which is always nice.

I would ask yourself these questions and pick from there:
- Do you want the computer in your console or on your wrist (or able to do both depending if you change your mind in a year)?
- Do you want the option of adding a transmitter at some point to monitor tank pressure?
- How large of a screen do you need to be able to comfortably see it?
- Are you frequently diving in low light situations? (a backlight is not really that necessary if you aren't, but if you are it's really nice!)

Even if the menu layout on a computer seems confusing at first, you'll catch on pretty quick so I wouldn't necessarily make that the deciding factor if you like everything else about it!

Recreational tables suck. They are way too course, especially as you go deeper, and if you drop a few feet to see something cool, or recover something you dropped, you can screw your NDL to the point where you have to miss part of your dive.

+1 I'd definitely get a computer over any other piece of diving gear if you're not buying everything (Regs, BCD, etc). Not having to use tables and having instantaneous NDL time while underwater is a huge benefit. I say if you're not buying everything because usually if you're going to rent there is a bundle deal which includes exposure suit, regs, tanks, etc and the cost benefit to having a couple of these pieces isn't worth it (esp when you factor in servicing). That being said, it's still nice to have you're own stuff so you know how it performs and you know what to expect. However, when money is a key factor, I'd go computer all the way.

As for the type of computer to get, really most low cost computers will do what you need it to do for recreation diving. Features I'd keep in mind which drives the cost up a bit:
1) Nitrox - Even if you aren't diving it now, it's a really good feature to have for the future. Most computers have it except the really cheap ones. Prob hard to resell without it.
2) # of buttons - Cheaper ones have less buttons which makes them more cumbersome to use. One button computers are kinda a pain as you need to hold them down to access certain functions whereas a quick tap will do something else. More buttons = more money. I would never buy a 1 button computer.
3) Air integration - Definitely a nice feature to have in the future (if you don't have a transmitter to start you can buy one later). I just started diving with air integration and it actually helps me with my air consumption as I can see breathing improvements in real time.
4) User replaceable battery - A must have!
5) PC Download capability - A nice to have although not an absolute necessity IMO.

The Hollis DG03 you mentioned looks like a good one. It hits the first 4 points I mentioned which will give you some room to grow (not sure on PC download capability).

If you are looking for something cheaper the Suunto Zoop like the other guys mentioned is a solid computer. I used to dive with a Gekko and have nothing but good things to say about it. Recently upgraded to an Atom 3.0 just for air integration and not because there was anything wrong with my Gekko.

Back
Top Bottom