equipment and training question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Billg68bg

Billg68bg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone know if there is any kind of magnifier I can attach to my dive watch or gauges to read them better under water. I use reading glasses and discovered on my first dive with my computer that I had trouble reading the numbers. Obviously, as I expand my training and experiences, this will likely present a problem. Thoughts?
Also, have Open Water and am not sure if I should seek Advance Open Water or Deep Water next. Thoughts?

There are "cheaters" that you can put in the bottom half of your mask to essentially turn them into bifocals. Some stick on and some can be custom made with them in there.
Some options from @DiveGearExpress here but there are others out there that can go into your existing mask.

With regards to training progression, there is a myriad of options where you can go from here but it is hard to make a recommendation on where to go without knowing what your diving goals are so let some of those out!

What I will say though is that one of the best things you can do now is find a good instructor that will teach you something similar to GUE Fundamentals. This will not certify you to do anything "new" unless you don't have your nitrox certification yet, but it will open your eyes to a different world of diving and will qualify you to really explore the underwater world on your own. Note the use of certify vs. qualify.....

There are reading inserts that you can glue into masks for this purpose. You could also bring a magnifying glass or a pair of readers with you on the dive. Both will work outside of your mask.

I'd say take advanced before you take deep, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not going to make much of a difference which one you do first.

It's not the cheapest option but a bigger/better computer may help to solve part of the problem. The Perdix AI has a large screen with big fonts. You can change the location of most data and have it where the numbers are signification bigger and easier to read.

Attachments

• GX010159_7a0dodl7al92g_0_1671296873678.JPG
    GX010159_7a0dodl7al92g_0_1671296873678.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 41
Advanced first. You'll be exposed to the issues inherent to deep diving (mainly that consumption skyrockets, also that narcosis starts to become a consideration). A Nitrox cert will further reinforce the other danger of diving deeper (high ppO2 values).

With that knowledge, you may decide that paying for a Deep specialty card isn't worth it. If you are really drawn to going deep, the initial technical diving certification is a better choice, IMO.

I put one in my primary mask and one in my backup.

i knew it was time for a bifocle mask when i was cavern training and could hardly read the spg. lol
my tusa mask with 2.0 reading lens factory attached has been one of the best pieces of equip i ever bought.

Back
Top Bottom