equipment and training question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Billg68bg

Billg68bg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone know if there is any kind of magnifier I can attach to my dive watch or gauges to read them better under water. I use reading glasses and discovered on my first dive with my computer that I had trouble reading the numbers. Obviously, as I expand my training and experiences, this will likely present a problem. Thoughts?
Also, have Open Water and am not sure if I should seek Advance Open Water or Deep Water next. Thoughts?

I tried the ones you just use a little water so they stick on the inside if your mask. Lost 2 of those as they just fell out, so I'm not a fan of those. It depends on how bad your vision is underwater. I highlighted a thing or two on my analog console but I guess that wouldn't work on a computer. I can read my computer because the numbers are quite large.

I tried the ones you just use a little water so they stick on the inside if your mask. Lost 2 of those as they just fell out, so I'm not a fan of those. It depends on how bad your vision is underwater. I highlighted a thing or two on my analog console but I guess that wouldn't work on a computer. I can read my computer because the numbers are quite large.

I found following the directions exactly, and letting them dry for most of a week, as the moisture has to dry from between the mask and lens, works well. I even moved them from one mask to another successfully, when I got a new mask, after years in the old mask.

If you build one of these with some plastic magnifiers and plumbing, that let water between the lenses

165 269a.jpg

It works!

A magnifying glass, one lens by itself works about as well as praying to your compass to find your way

A bigger computer with bigger print works about as well as praying to your compass to find your way

With your eyes shut!

Does anyone know if there is any kind of magnifier I can attach to my dive watch or gauges to read them better under water. I use reading glasses and discovered on my first dive with my computer that I had trouble reading the numbers. Obviously, as I expand my training and experiences, this will likely present a problem. Thoughts?
Also, have Open Water and am not sure if I should seek Advance Open Water or Deep Water next. Thoughts?

Another common solution is to get a computer with a bigger, more colorful display. Black on gray isn’t the easiest thing to read.

"They" don't tell you that a year or months later you have to buy a more bigger more colourful display

Before I broke down and purchased a prescription mask I use to tether a hand magnifier to my BC.

Scubapro Zoom mask has optical lens options (bifocals) that snap in place that you can do yourself not just stick-on lens but the whole lens. I found a stick-on are just too small.

- Replaceable Optical Lenses range from -1.0 to -8.0 (in .5 diopter increments). Lenses are interchangeable and will fit either the left or the right side.

I used the stick on and the glue in lenses for years, they work but can and do fall out when least expected, I’ve been using a Scuba Pro D mask for a few years now, easily replaceable lens you can buy direct from them, I put 1.5 x lens in both sides, I can see little stuff now too. They also make a lower cost mask (zoom) that also has various lenses available.

Where are you going to dive? Places like Curacao you'll never be asked for AOW cert and you won't benefit from Deep unless you're so prone to narcosis you're getting narc'ed in a swimming pool.

Where are you going to dive? Places like Curacao you'll never be asked for AOW cert and you won't benefit from Deep unless you're so prone to narcosis you're getting narc'ed in a swimming pool.
sorry but i am not sure i would agree with this post.

i would agree that getting padi advanced is pretty much a waste of time unless you are required to have it to move up the padi training ladder. i actually took a padi adv course years ago but the cost between paying for 5 dives and taking the course was only about $50. so for me at the time it was well worth it.

an ssi adv cert however (just for example) is a different story. you need to complete four full specialty courses in order to be awarded the adv open water diver cert. (you need to also have at least 24 logged dives). so there is a significant different between the padi adv and the ssi adv cert.

as far as a deep specialty being of no benefit.....i think i would also take exception to that comment.

for many divers, going beyond the depths they trained in is a very nerve racking idea. some feel much more comfortable easing their way down when they are along side a trusted instructor. there is also more theory and dive/gas planning that can be learned from the course that many divers have never been exposed to.

it may not be a nesessary course for all divers as some are lucky enough to be able to dive with others more seasoned than themselves and they can learn many of these skills just by being in that group. but everyone is so lucky.

after open water i like to tell my students to consider what they eventually want to achieve, and then try to choose training that will get them there.

nitrox is usually a good one to have. it is def necessary if you plan on ever doing any "technical" dives. navigation is a very necessary course especially for those that have never even looked at a compass. i think deep can be a great course with the right instructor. etc etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom