Equipment Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cando once bubbled...
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for someone like me who is looking to buy new equipment.....

1) On-line stores like Leisurepro.com have really low prices on almost all products, but do not provide a manufacturers warranty (only an in-store warranty)which means i won't get free parts when servicing my reg annualy. My question is....how much does it usually cost to service a scubapro reg lets say and pay for the parts? Would I be better off paying double the price and buying it a my LDS? Seems like alot to pay for free parts every year. Anyone buy equipment from leisurepro? If so what do you think?

2) I'm looking at the Scubapro Classic Plus BCD. I travel alot to tropical climates but I would also like to start diving alot more locally. Would you recomend this BC for lake diving as well as tropical diving. I always dive within rec limits so I won't be doing any tech diving. Should i go with the Classic sport (a little lighter and more streamlined but less lift capacity)? Anyone have any experience with these BC's?

Thanks alot for your help!

I would get my stuff from an LDS.. The reason is simple.. support and a chance to try things out before you buy them. I have several ScubaPro regs and their warranty is pretty good..I'd recommend them.. They also breathe awesome..

As for a BCD, I only own one.. And I baught it right before my Open Water certification.. LOL.. Its a DiveRite TransPacII.. Very comfy, ultra adjustable and expandable. You can set it up the way you like it.. with or without integrated weights, or pockets or whatever.. Its really easy to dive with and it has a nice open feeling.. It can also handle doubles.. I know you are not doing technical stuff. neither am I.. but double tanks are handy when you are doing long shallow dives or just as a safety feature..
The TransPac accomodates both.. you can change back and forth in 3 minutes.. Very cool.

OK! OK! I'll go back and read the entire petition!!

If I've jumped all over hallmac by mistake I certainly apologize.

The manufacturers do have control ovr the retail prices in the US to some extent. They definately have control over who may sell their product line both in the US and here. They don't dictate what other lines you can or cannot have directly. They can however deny their line to your store for any reason they so choose. That aspect anyway I think is good.

If I'm trying to build a good scuba business and work hard to represent a fine line of scuba gear for several years, I don't want a dive shop opening next door with the same lines. It's usually in the first couple of years (5?) that an owner feels the need to discount. If he does, then my efforts to have a good store for the divers are wasted. The new store will close anyway (if he discounts) and my business is hurt too in the interim. I may decide to stop carrying the line so now the manufacturer is hurt AND the divers who have that gear are also PO'd.

Most manufacturers want stores who carry their line to be legitimate businesses with an investment and a plan. Besides, there are lots of lines for stores to choose from. What's the advantage to having several stores in close proximity carrying the same line? It's to the divers advantage if they each have different lines. That way you can compare the different brands easily and buy what best suits you.

Normoxic - Where in the US are there several stores in one locality that carry the same brands and are doing well? First the scuba business in Canada is doing very well for the stores that are businesslike. The US is slow right now in every industry. Allowing every store to carry every line will certainly lead to problems and particularly in the US. You seldom find a Ford dealer next door to a Ford dealer or a MacDonalds close to another MacDonalds. Simple business sense.
If every store has the same lines, the only way to increase your market share is to lower prices until the diver buys from you.
I find it really amusing when a store owner brags that he sells more of an item than I do. I could sell more too if I dropped my prices. It's not units sold that matter - it's return! He may sell more than I do BUT I make a higher return on the ones I do sell and I put more in the bank!! Who's the better retailer? Any bimbo can drop the price to sell something. Hell I can afford to give stuff away - does that make me a better businessman or dive store owner? And does the diver win? We've been through that and the answer is no!! Save a few dollars on the purchase and then spend twice your savings trying to find good service or shipping the item back and forth to the supplier for warranty. Not to mention all the other services a good dive store provides.
I've had the privelege over the years of selling every brand name out there and a lot that no longer exist. I was at one time one of the biggest retailers in the GTA of Dacor, Mares, USD (don't tell anyone!), Seaquest, Poseidon, ProSub, Oceanic, Sherwood, Genesis, TUSA plus Healthways, Voit, Farallon, Tekna, Seatec all of which are no longer in business.
Today, I can meet the needs of our customers with 3 very diverse major brands and another couple of smaller ones. The advantage is that I can carry more stock, offer better pricing, keep more parts on hand, provide more professional service, have more knowledgeable staff and I have less problems with other store owners. All these advantages BTW are to the divers benefit!!
It seems you think the suppliers are evil! If Diversco is not selling to a dive store, it's almost certainly because the local dive community is already well served by a Diversco dealer. Why would they upset an established dealer and subsequently irritate the divers by giving a new dealer with no track record and dubious intentions their products? Who wins??
If we assume that both the manufacturer and the store owner plan to build a good, long-term business then most of the policies are beneficial to that aim and to the divers interest. It does not benefit the diver when either goes out of business.

I am an outspoken advocate of a free market and will not deal with suppliers who tell me how to run my business!! That certainly includes price restraints.
On the other hand I do want to protect my investment and, while I welcome and actually assist other store owners to open and get started even if close to me, I cannot allow their policies or problems to adversely affect me. Am I wrong??

Butch103 once bubbled...
but I cannot get service on-line, I cannot drop in and chat with the instructor, on-line, I cannot try on my gear, on-line, and most importantly I cannot get tanks filled, on-line....... These are just some of the things I really need from my LDS.....

I agree...and I think that we both realize how important it is to support your local business, especially in a small town environment. Unfortunately, that mindset seems to get lost when you are in "the city".
Randy...

I must agree with many of your points in your last post.

I personally don't think the intent of the petition to to force the suppliers to allow anyone to sell their gear, in other words allow your brand new neighbour scuba shop to sell the same gear as your own shop. "Protected" is a good/bad policy. (depending on if you have the line or not :D )...

I think the intent is to stop the suppliers/manufacturers from again dictating the prices and policies of the store.

I too believe you get what you pay for, and if you and your competitor sell the same line of gear and he/she discounts it, yes your are bang on, he will likely be out of business sooner.

Service is a better money maker than product. It may not have any input cost to start.........

Thanks for all your advice...

I ended up going to my LDS and basically telling them that I could get the items i wanted at a much lower price, so they put togehter a package of exactly what I wanted and basically matched the price of the online store plus 150$ (but that was in taxes so i dont mind)

This is what I got.....great deal!!

Scubapro MK25/S600
Scubapro R380 Octopus
Suunto SM16 and SM36 (depth and pressure console)

All for 1150$ including taxes!! Not bad considering it would have cost me around 1600$ including taxes if i had paid full price. On-line stores were selling for 1000$ including taxes, shipping etc....but like you all said, I'd rather support my local LDS and its not their fault we have such ****ty taxes up here!!! :)

Thanks again!

Nice work Cando....the first time you have a question (or problem heaven forbid) you will be glad that you bought from your LDS.
Randy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom