equipment...own or rent?

Do you own or rent your scuba equipment?

• Own, spare money = more equipment

Votes: 211 98.6%
  • Rent, who needs to own renting is cheap

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, like most (if not all) internet polls, this has obvious biases especially in terms of self-selection. However, the self-selection in itself does tell you something significant: those who frequent Scubaboard are very likely to be more committed towards diving as a long-term engagement. But, of course, we already knew that, right?

Like many who already posted, i started buying all my own gear immediately after OW. Unlike others (like TSandM) i still have everything and don't plan on changing much, just adding on. The reason: i discovered SC before buying anything so all my eventual choices were keepers.

Brandnew2Scuba:
The diver I spoke of, strongly suggested I never buy, her reasoning being renting is cheap, you get to always use different equipment, and you don't have to worry about maintenance or storage.
Odd reasoning. She is not typical.

Renting is more expensive than buying if you dive enough, there is a break even point which is not that hard to reach. And if you own you will dive more. But there is more to the decision than just the money.

Getting to use different equipment is useful at first to learn about different gear and figure out what you like, but after that it is not a benefit - it's better to have stuff you're familiar with.

You've got to worry more about maintenance on rentals - you don't have to get it done, but you sure have to worry about it. :wink:

I bought my gear - except for the tank - right off the bat as well. . . I'm not sure how the diver you know is coming up with the renting is cheaper mantra. Atleast in my corner of the world, renting a full set of gear for a couple weekends a year will have you well on the way to having a nice set of rec gear - maybe not the top of the line models or gear thats suitable for tec diving, but still very functional well made stuff.

Brandnew2Scuba:
Just thought it might be an interesting poll to see how many members own their own equipment and how many rent equipment for each dive. Also if you own how long were you diving before buying?

I purchased personal equipment before taking the instruction part of OW. I had most of my equipment prior to CO dives. I've since purchased tanks, a drysuit, and a bunch of other stuff over time.

IMO owning is NOT less expensive than renting for any serious diver. If you dive a couple days a year, then certainly renting is an option. Make sure the gear you rent is not going to kill you! The biggest point of equipment failure (DAN) is the BC. The thing you want to fail the LEAST is your reg (my opinion!). Renting equipment at most places I've dove is about $50 a day or more. Maybe there are discounts for week rentals, I've really not looking into it. However I would not consider $10 a day for a wetsuit cheap when you can buy them for under $100 (3mm fullsuit).

Everyone rents tanks and weight when traveling.

I think this poll will be VERY skewed based on the people posting on the board. Maybe the lurkers would help, but I know several people who do NOT own their own equipment, and I'm betting there are huge numbers especially in places like CO. These people dive once a year, and that is NOT unusual for landlocked area's.

I recall someone at another board calculate that if you dive more than 20 times a year, you are financially justified in buying your own gear rather than renting.

I still rent, but not for the reason you mentioned in your poll. Renting is more expensive option than buying. I rent so I get familiar with the equipment and so I can travel light.

I own some of the equipment, though - and so I think you might not get what you expected from this poll. I might also have voted the "own" option.

I own my own BCD so I could get a consistant fit, but still rent regs. Since I'm only diving once or twice a month, I think renting is still cost effective. If I can dive more often (as I hope to) I'll buy my own reg.

I don't agree that renting a reg is necessarily less safe than owning one. The way I see it, if a reg is being used several times a week and a good dive operator is taking a look at it, the odds are that if there is a problem with the reg it will be noticed by the previous divers and corrected. Any thoughts?

trigfunctions:
I own my own BCD so I could get a consistant fit, but still rent regs. Since I'm only diving once or twice a month, I think renting is still cost effective. If I can dive more often (as I hope to) I'll buy my own reg.

I don't agree that renting a reg is necessarily less safe than owning one. The way I see it, if a reg is being used several times a week and a good dive operator is taking a look at it, the odds are that if there is a problem with the reg it will be noticed by the previous divers and corrected. Any thoughts?

previous renters usually have no idea if something is working the way it is supposed to for they would not have very much previous experience with the item to compare with..If you are diving 2x a month you really should consider purchasing..You may be spending $15. per day renting 2 days a month,so thats $30.Multiply that 12 times,its $360....that is low balling the figures not counting any late fees,extra days out not returned,etc..How about the time/gas you spend going to store to rent equipment?

EvaL:
I recall someone at another board calculate that if you dive more than 20 times a year, you are financially justified in buying your own gear rather than renting.

I can rent a reg on a dive boat for a two tank dive for $10. If I take 20 trips, that's $200.

A good reg (and octo and guages) is around $500. Annual maintenance is how much - at least $50? And, you have to store it - which is an issue in my tiny South Florida apartment.

So, owning a reg for 2 years costs about $600. Renting would be about $400.

It seems like you have to dive a lot over several years for owning to be cheaper than renting. If anyone has another plan let me know so I can go buy one.

EDIT - Oly, I posted the above before your response. I rent the regs right off the boats so I don't have to go anywhere to pick them up.

I can see renting a piece of equipment or two. . .but the few people I know that do rent usually get the stuff from the LDS rather than on site because the trust it more. Or you can't get it on site. The extra travel to pick stuff up and the per day rate catches up with ya....

Example - you want to get an early start of a full day of diving on Saturday morning.

Pick the stuff up Friday after work (day 1), use it Saturday (Day 2), have it Sunday because you wanted to do a night dive on Saturday or couldn't get back up to the shop before they closed or you do more diving on Sunday (day 3), drop it back off on Monday when you get off of work (day 4).

So potentially, you'll have 4 days of rental fees for a weekend of diving. At say $50 dollars for a complete set of rental gear, which may be low, that's $200 just for equipment for one weeknd.

Alternatively, my LDS does have a frequent renters card - you get 10 days of a full set of gear for $250, and then you get $150 off any major gear purchase once you use the card. They also do half price rentals if you go to a store fun dive.

I currently don't have a tank, but plan on getting one for next summer. I figure that if I go diving the same amount as I did this year, in less than two years, I'd have put out in rental fees for a tank what I would put into purchasing a nice steel tank of my own.

Back
Top Bottom