Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To add to the confusion, some people incorrectly refer to the entire rig, 1st stage, both seconds, console as an octopus. I've seen a number of used regs advertised this way.

To add to the confusion, some people incorrectly refer to the entire rig, 1st stage, both seconds, console as an octopus. I've seen a number of used regs advertised this way.

Well with all the hoses coming off it kind of looks like an octopus so I can see how that works.

Hi!
Quick questions!

What's the difference between a regulator and an octopus? I'm guessing the regulator is the main one you use and the octopus is the back up one?

And...

What is the full equipment you need to go scuba diving?

Merci

But to get back on topic... Yes, an octopus is generally a back up regulator that is used to share air with a buddy. Many divers use lower performance regulators for their octopus.

To dive you need a BCD, Regulator set, Tank, Fins, Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit or Drysuit for cold water, and most people also need weight to help them be neutrally bouyant.

So is the first stage the main thing you breathe from and the 2nd stage the emergency one??

Do you know how there are four things? Like there's the two you breathe from on the right and then on the left is the thing that controls the inflation of the suit and the other thing which tells you how much air you have left...whats that whole thing called?

Well with all the hoses coming off it kind of looks like an octopus so I can see how that works.

But to get back on topic... Yes, an octopus is generally a back up regulator that is used to share air with a buddy. Many divers use lower performance regulators for their octopus.

To dive you need a BCD, Regulator set, Tank, Fins, Mask, Snorkel, Wetsuit or Drysuit for cold water, and most people also need weight to help them be neutrally bouyant.

Thank you!! think you were the only one who answered it and i understood!!

The whole thing is called the regulator. There are several parts.

The part that attaches to the tank and has all the hoses coming out of it is the 1st stage. It reduces the pressure of the air coming out of the tank and delivers it to the different parts.

On the right side, you usually have 2 second stage regulators. These supply air at the same pressure as the surrounding water so you can breathe. One is your primary air source and the other is the octo which is a backup is case the primary fails or you need to share air with your buddy (let's ignore the Air2 for now).

On the left you have your low pressure inflator hose. This attaches to the BCD so you can inflate it to maintain neutral buoyancy or float at the surface. You also have a high pressure hose (full tank pressure) which attaches to the submersible pressure gauge or SPG. This allows you to monitor the amount of air you have in your tank. This is usually attached in a console which may also contain a depth gauge and or dive computer and compass. The computer and compass can also ride attached to other places like your arm or BCD. The computer is optional (but most people use one) if you use a timing device or watch and use tables to determine the time you can remain at a particular depth.

It's actually simpler in operation than it sounds and you quickly get used to checking your gauges to monitor your depth and air supply.

Thank you Nova!
It makes much more sense =]!

So is the first stage the main thing you breathe from and the 2nd stage the emergency one??

Do you know how there are four things? Like there's the two you breathe from on the right and then on the left is the thing that controls the inflation of the suit and the other thing which tells you how much air you have left...whats that whole thing called?

The first stage is the part with 4 hoses (generally) coming out of it. It attaches to the tank. It is the "1st stage" in reducing the tank's air pressure from 3,000psi to a pressure that won't explode your lungs :wink: .... It reduces the pressure to about 120-145psi above ambient pressure and sends it to the "2nd stage"(s) and to the BC inflator hose (but high pressure air is sent to the submersible pressure guage (SPG) via a tiny hole in the high pressure hose so you can tell how much air is in the tank).

The "2nd stage" is the part you see in the diver's mouth. There will usually be an additional 2nd stage, often called an "octopus". As mentioned above, this is used to share air with another diver in the event they run out of air.

So.... the "typical" 4 hoses coming off the 1st stage are:

Low pressure hose to 2nd stage (usually on right side)
Low pressure hose to "octopus" 2nd stage (also usually on right side)
Low pressure hose to BC inflator (usually on left side)
High pressure hose to SPG (usually on left side)

As mentioned above, in the past I have heard of the entire regulator rig referred to as an "octopus" because of how it looks, but it is rare to hear it called that today (now an "octopus" refers to the spare 2nd stage).

Best wishes.

Ooops! Didn't hit refresh, Novascuba already answered.

When I was first getting into scuba (only a few months back) and was trying to get equipment together I ran into the same confusion. I kept trying to find a diagram or something identifying the individual parts but never found a thing.
So, if anyone has any photo editing skills and could permanently host a picture with all the circles and arrows and a paragraph describing each piece, well, I think that would be very helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom