Essentials for a save a dive kit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's mine uploadfromtaptalk1407535874874.jpg

Depends upon where / who you dive with.

As a vacation diver I am always closely connected to a full service dive operator. So my minimal save-a-dive kit consists of a zip tie & a paper clip.

Either of these can be used as a McGyver in any number of annoying non critical situations. The paper clip was useful when the zipper pull on my wet suit came off and got lost. The zip tie gets used all the time, sometimes just for grins (think about zip tying your divebuddy's first stage to their bcd...Makes it real easy to see if they have done a proper pre dive check...just kidding...).

Anything critical, the dive op will help me out with. That is the reality of my dive world.

That said, my real save-a-dive kit has a whole pile of crap in it (including, but not limited to):
- 1 fin strap
- 1 mask strap
- a bunch of zip ties
- several different styles of mouthpieces
- some plastic D-Rings ???
- a bunch of those clear plastic luggage tag loop things! (used these to secure a locker key to my BCD once)
- a few clothes pins ??? (actually found them under water and 15 yrs later they are still in my kit)
- some port plugs for my first stage ???
- a bunch of plastic quick disconnect buckles from some old BCDs ???
- the inflator connector from an old BCD ???

My dive bag also contains the following extra junk:
- my snorkel
- an extra mask
- an extra regulator
- my dive tables
- some dirty laundry from my last dive trip....

A complete backup regulator set that I know is working. I once had the misfortune of having to use a rental, and I was shocked by the condition the regulator was in, even though it was a reputable, highly recommended tech shop: it was breathing wet, and was giving me sharp burning sensation in my throat, it was so annoying that during the dive, I had to switch to the octopus, which was only marginally better. I swore to myself at that time that I will never allow this to happen to me again. One of the things that was drilled to me in the tech training was to do my best to not rely on others for my comfort and safety, and boy, did that experience just drive the point home...

For travel - I like a pelican case. The key is the lid organizer for all odds and tool ends... Same case protects your regs, lights, computers - those things you really rely on (May not want to check on a plane) - check out photo, in addition to every piece of save a kit you might want. It's a TSA approved size. Make sure to get padded dividers instead of foam - and I had to find the lid organizer for $20 separately on Amazon.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407720978.996752.jpg

I keep a box of assorted o rings, grease, Allen set, wrench, screwdrivers, spare din / yoke tank inserts, zip ties, mouth piece, several double eye bolt snaps...

Oh, it's got great wheels and an extendable handle.

Actually, I bring it everywhere, not just travel. Even loaded, rugged wheel mean you're rarely lifting it.

Check travel regulations for maximum tool size, battery restrictions, etc. most dive tools aren't a problem.

Oh, and since it goes with me everywhere diving, my Manta Steel Hammer & Chisel should be counted as an above (fits in the case) and below the surface save a dive standout. Approx 2 lbs of lead on a double bolt snap - by the steel U on the head - can be transferred easily as trim, and don't forget it's a hammer and chisel in case you see something you really have to have off that wreck.

@bug, Whew. lotsa stuff. I find i get tripped up a lot overseas going thru the airport with too much "fishy" stuff. i try not to bring anything that may be construed as a weapon. Every teeny thing seems to get scrutinized.

Secondly, u might get flamed a bit owning up to chiseling things off a wreck. some places, a big no no.

I don't take things off a wreck, bad ju ju and karma. most of the wrecks i dive are WWII related. I'm sure someone died since the boat is sitting on the bottom of the ocean floor.

I ended up buying a cheap set of steel wrenches. Under $10 each for sets in SAE and metric. Yeah, my SAD kit is sadly large. However, I've saved a number of other folks' dives with it. Most of my diving does not involve airplanes so weight is not really a big deal.

I've used the wrenches when changing my reg hoses around. When the wrenches get scratched and rust I'll throw them out and replace the set at that price.

@bug, Whew. lotsa stuff. I find i get tripped up a lot overseas going thru the airport with too much "fishy" stuff. i try not to bring anything that may be construed as a weapon. Every teeny thing seems to get scrutinized.

Secondly, u might get flamed a bit owning up to chiseling things off a wreck. some places, a big no no.

I don't take things off a wreck, bad ju ju and karma. most of the wrecks i dive are WWII related. I'm sure someone died since the boat is sitting on the bottom of the ocean floor.

I feel very strongly about what you brought up. The Department of the Navy considers divers like us a valuable resource as a community to protect war sites. I dive in NY / NJ a lot. I would never, ever, disturb anything on the San Diego, for instance. More than a modicum of respect is owed by us divers to treat places like these as museums - as much as possible, with us divers as the docents.

Oh... and lobsters don't count. I'll take them where I find them :) :wink:

That being said - the great number of local tugs, barges and old steam vessels sunk in collisions, etc. provide ample portholes and engine parts, light housings (you know a diver's affinity for any lighting instrument..) all made of brass for those who enjoy preserving our culture's past in their living rooms.

We've gotten off topic, but the hammer doesn't usually make the airline packing, but everything else is surprisingly easy to move around. I show up with pretty much that box, fin, exposure suit and I can dive (and save) pretty much anything that gets thrown at me :). And as long as screw drivers, wrenches, etc aren't super long, they never get a second glance at TSA. Dive knife, cutting implements are better to check though (including large shears).

Better that for any piece of save a dive you're "on the fence" about -- you have and don't need, instead of the reverse. Oh, I mentioned Din (Tank) > Yolk (Reg) valve inserts, but also the reciprocal, Yoke (Tank) > Din (Reg) adapter. Both are handy when diving in new places if not diving your own tanks.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
.....the great number of local tugs, barges and old steam vessels sunk in collisions, etc. provide ample portholes and engine parts, light housings (you know a diver's affinity for any lighting instrument..) all made of brass for those who enjoy preserving our culture's past in their living rooms.

Thanks for the explanation. Didnt mean to come off as accusatorial in my comments. I've never had the opportunity to dive on a wreck that wasnt WWI related. I see your point.

And as long as screw drivers, wrenches, etc aren't super long, they never get a second glance at TSA.

TSA isnt my usual headache. its whatever other countries security i get hung up on.

I was in the Phils getting the 3rd degree over my dive bag. It's like they had never seen a reg setup in their whole life.....absolutely alien concept when they pulled it out. Baffling and time consuming to me, endless "whats this, whats this?".

C

My kit:
Sunblock
O Rings
Defog
Band aids
Multi tool
Knife
Flashlight
Bottle opener
Koozie (for after I use the bottle opener)
I have a few other small odds and ends, but this seems to have worked so far.

That stuff, plus

For local diving I don't bring an extra regulator but like AJ I always travel with an extra inflator and a couple of SPG spools. Iif I am on a boat and my buddies or anyone's spg is leaking at the spool (which is extremely common) I just swap it out and keep their old one, clean it up at home with new O-rings and back in the kit. Also an assortment of lp and HP plugs, extra wing nuts and a din/yoke adapter. Have a separate first aid kit. Both SAD kit and first aid are at the bottom of my Calcutta backpack. Inside the back pack is my analyzer, some bungee cord, zip ties and my extra mask

TSA isnt my usual headache. its whatever other countries security i get hung up on.

I was in the Phils getting the 3rd degree over my dive bag. It's like they had never seen a reg setup in their whole life.....absolutely alien concept when they pulled it out. Baffling and time consuming to me, endless "whats this, whats this?".

I'm in NYC... Sometimes, if I'm only picking up my deco bottles - well, I get very strange looks with an AL40 on the subway.... :) :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom