Ever "lost" your mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a buddy knock my mask sideways once but,never came off. Have found over a half dozen mask/snorkels though...

not me -I dive with my hands over my face(in a tight squeeze)..:)

I've nearly had it kicked off by new divers a couple of times, but usually in tight conditions where there are fins just above me, I raise an arm just over and in front of my head to deflect a stray kick until the danger passes. The only time I've lost my mask was during open water confined dives doing skills. My instructor had just earlier explained how easy it is to lose a mask by keeping it on your forehead. About to decend for another skill when my mask seemed to be missing! Yes I was embarrassed when he had to rescue it from the bottom.:( Needless to say I never keep it on my forehead even in the most calm conditions.

Yes, on a night dive. I was following another diver (my sister) too closely and she stopped unexpectedly and kicked the mask of my face and reg out of my mouth. This was shortly after my OW cert. I recovered as I was trained to do and all was well. Only my buddy knew what happened until we got back to the boat.

Totally my fault, and a noob mistake, but we were all noobs once.

I had this happen too on one of my first dives after OW, was messing about doing matrix-style flips with a friend and he managed to kick my mask off and reg out at the same time. It was kinda nice to be able to put into practice what I'd just learnt!

I had my Compumask torn out of my hand by a wave surge during an entry last month. Luckily it washed into a rock overhang about 5 feet under me, but the surge also smashed the control button against the rock repeatedly until my buddy could retrieve it, messing up the computer. Aeris said they'd replace it with a refurbished model for $250 which will definitely go on a tether from now on.

One. I left it on the front tire of my SUV and forgot and drove over it.

The Redondo Beach Monster (L.A., CA) reached out and took my mask right off my face during a surf exit. Then, it taunted me by having it float just out of reach for a couple waves before taking it under.

It was found (AND RETURNED) three days later by an instructor. After cleaning, it was no worse for wear. Even the HydrOptics were still in place.

Lost mine once, in current at night watching a large jelly floating in my light heading for me. Just as I was about to drop under it another diver past me and in the process kicked me right in the face.

Managed to catch the strap by my pinky finger, so it wasn't strictly lost, which would have bummed me out. Managed to avoid teh jelly and then replace the mask and finish the dive though...

Had mine kicked sideways from following too close (my fault), had my reg kicked out of my mouth during OW by another diver that was ascending (his fault), apparently my hose brushed his leg, he thought it was a snake? and kicked back and swatted. I didn't even try to get that reg back in my mouth, just grab my alternate and waited for him to finish fighting the sea creature....

Lost mine during my last rescue scenario for my rescue cert. I thought I clipped it to my wing before I started doing rescue breaths on the victim, but I didn't the viz in the water was less than 2'. We tried to look for it, but it was a goner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom