ever ruined a mask flaming it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is our take on how to prepare a mask:

Dive Safe!

Dano

Can you describe the chemical reaction in some more detail please? What chemical in the toothpaste is reacting with what in the mask? All this time, I thought that it was the abrasiveness of the toothpaste.

Have had the worst luck with fogging with those anti-reflective coated lenses. Had a couple that even after a couple of rounds of burning and toothpaste, still fogged much easier.

Interesting that not only manufacturers say don't do it, but DGX is pretty strong on not doing it either.

You'll notice that DGX sells these coated masks: anti-glare, contrast-enhancing, as well as RX ones. I wonder if that fact and that advice are related.

Extremely fine coral sand and finger pressure will do a super job cleaning a new mask if you happen to be near a good tropical beach. It's abrasive but will not harm the glass at all, and works better and much more quickly than toothpaste. Make sure it's powder soft white coral sand.

Extremely fine coral sand and finger pressure will do a super job cleaning a new mask if you happen to be near a good tropical beach. It's abrasive but will not harm the glass at all, and works better and much more quickly than toothpaste. Make sure it's powder soft white coral sand.

How about diatomaceous earth? Sounds like your coral sand but available without outrageous baggage fees. I'll try some in an old mask to check to see if it scratches.

Problem with the burning method is that it will void any warranty from the manufacturer if they figure out that you burned the mask and you want to return it.

Once you have your mask for awhile, you may notice some mold in the corners, especially if you have a prescription lens attached. If you put it in a dilute chlorine bleach. DO NOT forget you did that and let it sit there for 4 days. :-( The soft part will get all gummy and sticky and you have to trash the mask. Lesson learned the hard way.

How about diatomaceous earth? Sounds like your coral sand but available without outrageous baggage fees. I'll try some in an old mask to check to see if it scratches.

Problem with the burning method is that it will void any warranty from the manufacturer if they figure out that you burned the mask and you want to return it.
I don't think DE is sufficiently abrasive. I meant that post for people lucky enough to be on a soft coral sand beach, or who care to bring some home. The coral gravel they import for sw aquariums may be too coarse, though the coral dust that rinses off that stuff or which settles in the bottom of the bag may be perfect. I discovered the method through accident when a new mask kept fogging. I swam to shallow water, grabbed a handful of wave differentiated fine substrate, and began rubbing. It was amazing to see how perfectly it worked. This was in Negril in the 70s. I've never put a flame to any mask, or any other equipment.

I'm still curious as to this mysterious "Mako" chemical reaction that takes place between toothpaste and mask detritus as described in their video. Moreover they advise against using abrasive toothpaste.

I'm still curious as to this mysterious "Mako" chemical reaction that takes place between toothpaste and mask detritus as described in their video. Moreover they advise against using abrasive toothpaste.

Well, until they show the (chemical) reaction equation, I suspect this is more, uh, detritus.

N

Well, until they show the (chemical) reaction equation, I suspect this is more, uh, detritus.

N

I asked a dive buddy who is a chemist about this. I showed him the Mako video. He too called it detritus but he was more explicit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom