Experienced diver wants a new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's absolutely obvious you have to service regulators, cylinders, drysuits, scooters, compressor and whatnot.
Why not service your computer to ensure accuracy, reliability and longevity?

In our voluntary fire brigade we service CO detectors and infrared cameras every year, even if it's not really necessary.

It's absolutely obvious you have to service regulators, cylinders, drysuits, scooters, compressor and whatnot.

In our voluntary fire brigade we service CO detectors and infrared cameras every year, even if it's not really necessary.

Sure, why not? If you feel it is worth it and necessary, do it and don't ask or look back.

Sure, why not? If you feel it is worth it and necessary, do it and don't ask or look back.
I do, but you mentioned that there a lot of divers who never or very rarely service their computers.
But if you ignore the manual, don't complain when it breaks.

I do, but you mentioned that there a lot of divers who never or very rarely service their computers.
But if you ignore the manual, don't complain when it breaks.

I am agreeing with you if you feel it is worth it for you. I don't know of any that do, this is a fact not an opinion.

I was curious what the items were as much of what @scubadada listed was basic maintenance that users should be doing. Dive gear should be flushed with water after use (as quickly as possible to avoid salt deposits). When replacing batteries, the o-rings should be lubricated so there shouldn't be any corrosion inside. I always update the firmware on my Perdixes.

The only thing I need is for the pressure sensor to be tested as I don't have the means to do that myself. However, I dive with two Shearwaters and also a Deep 6 Excursion (as I'm working on a manual for that), so if one reads a wonky depth, I know there's an issue.

I get the recommendation for servicing as people very often don't take care of their stuff. I know some folks who never rinse their gear. They don't feel it is worth their time.

Unlike regulators, inflator/exhaust valves and zippers on dry suits, cylinder valves, dive computers don't have moving parts. It is just a one function computer. Like my different computers, I do updates, but I don't send it to someone to service.

Can you recommend a computer that never needs a service, not even once?
Oceanic VT3, a little over 13 years old, 1859 dives, 1956 hours. Battery changes only, I got a good one :)

1696958251456.png

It is a known issue with Shearwater computers like the Predator, Petrel, and Perdix models that have the polycarbonate face (versus the glass in the Perdix 2 and Petrel 3) that some (most?) types of sunscreen will damage/weaken that polycarbonate. I'm not sure specifically what damages it, so I don't know what other substances might get on it and cause the same problem. I only remember sunscreen being mentioned as the primary cause of the problem.

If those get sunscreen on them - which is obviously not much of a stretch to imagine - and go unserviced for long enough, the face plate will eventually crack and probably flood the computer. Or such is my understanding, anyway.

That is why they replace that face plate during service - as there is no way to inspect it and tell if it has been weakened and cracking is imminent - and why it is good to send those for service at least every 5 years.

It is a known issue with Shearwater computers like the Predator, Petrel, and Perdix models that have the polycarbonate face (versus the glass in the Perdix 2 and Petrel 3) that some (most?) types of sunscreen will damage/weaken that polycarbonate. I'm not sure specifically what damages it, so I don't know what other substances might get on it and cause the same problem. I only remember sunscreen being mentioned as the primary cause of the problem.

If those get sunscreen on them - which is obviously not much of a stretch to imagine - and go unserviced for long enough, the face plate will eventually crack and probably flood the computer. Or such is my understanding, anyway.

That is why they replace that face plate during service - as there is no way to inspect it and tell if it has been weakened and cracking is imminent - and why it is good to send those for service at least every 5 years.
What is this thing called sunscreen? We don't use such a thing in the opposite corner of the country. It's always raining (the source of my username, not taking too long to kit up and not having a p-valve for my dry suit).

In all seriousness, that makes sense, and something that should be checked. However, based upon my joke here, it isn't a problem for which I'm concerned AT ALL if due to sunscreen!

Good tip about the battery. Here is someone's pictures they just posted the other day from a battery leaking and the damage it can do. I snagged these from @Trace Malinowski. In SW defense, I think Trace's perdix sat for quite a while with a battery still in it (not trying to call you out Trace, just want to give credit for the pictures you posted).
I was going to just tell Richard at Dive-Tronix to toss the Perdix in the trash rather than pay for a $451.50 repair, and Michele would have sent it back free of charge if I made a video putting a bullet in it after I asked her what the return cost would be if I just wanted to put a bullet in the thing. But, I decided to get it fixed and probably sell it.

Dive-Tronix will service your computer for $150. This isn't the first time Richard repaired my Perdix, but it was the first time the damage was my fault. For those who don't know, you receive what looks like a new unit in a new box after service.

My first depth gauge in 1981 cost $10. I purchased my first computer, a UWATEC in 1990, my second computer around 1995 when I became a nitrox instructor. It was a Dive Rite Bridge II. I don't recall what I paid for them now. I bought the UWATEC on Bonaire and the Bridge II in cave country. My third computer was a Dive Rite Nitek 3 which was given to me by my TDI Advanced Nitrox instructor when he retired. I do remember paying about $150 for a digital depth gauge/bottom timer around 1999 after taking GUE-F.

Here we are at $1,200 for a computer and $370 for a depth gauge bottom timer. You know, freediving keeps you fit and is much sexier than scuba. It doesn't really require any of the apnea computers they are selling.

Attachments

• KIMG3444.JPG
    KIMG3444.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 52
Dive-Tronix will service your computer for $150. This isn't the first time Richard repaired my Perdix, but it was the first time the damage was my fault.
What kind of issues did you have with the perdix other than the leaking battery?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom