Experienced Divers: Will You Dive With Newbies?

Will you dive with a new diver on fun dives?

• Never

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 90 51.1%
  • Always

Votes: 62 35.2%
  • Only when I'm being paid as an instructor

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Only if they buy dinner afterwards

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Not on boat dives where I have to pay

Votes: 15 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was a young and inexperienced diver, older more experienced divers were kind enough to dive with me. Not once did I get any complaint about holding them back or cutting their dives short by blowing through my air too fast, both of which I am sure I did.
So now it's my turn. I figure I owe this sport I love a little tolerance, and if I can help a youngster (or even an older newbie) out by being a buddy, if my dive's a little shorter, shallower or less involved than I might have preferred, it's just payback.
Rick

Thanks for the feed back. The guys that I dive with regularly won't give me much constructive feed back. They have been very patient with me. Usually they just say "You'll get better the more you dive". Since I won't be diving with them, I just needed to know if I was making enough progress.

Have already and definitely would dive with new divers again. Usually they are people I already know and have agreed to dive with. It all depends on the attitude of the diver though. And experience doesn't matter. Last year on one of my Mexico trips, there was an "inactive status DM" (I lost count of how many times I heard that) that no one wanted to dive with. The last day of the trip, he changed boats because he wanted to go to a different site and we were all so relieved. Never did find out what the divers on the other boat thought. Anyway, it's all about the attitude. Besides, I've still got a lot to learn myself and lots of more experienced divers I still want to dive with. :D

Others dove with me when I first started and was a true hoover. I have done many dives since where I came back to shore with 1800+ psi in my tank after a 15-30 minute dive. But that is OK, someone did the same for me not too long ago.

I also find diving with newer divers I learn a lot, about them, diving and myself.

I always get to the good topics too late.
Okay, so here's my two cents anyway. I get excited about diving with folks who are excited about diving. Granted, not every diver is thrilled about diving, and I have to admit, I do sometimes get frustrated on dives with folks that don't seem to care... don't even seem to have fun. For the most part however, many new divers are all about improving their skills and learning the finer points of diving. These folks are great. It is absolutely amazing how fast a new diver who is excited about diving can look fantastic in the water if someone just takes the time to point them in the right direction. It usually takes very little... maybe take a look at their weighting, maybe help them fine tune breathing and buoyancy. I see a fairly good number of new folks discover what it really feels like to be neutral for the first time. I love when they come up and freak out... "That was awesome!"
Yeah, diving is awesome. Almost every day I get to relive a little bit of the excitement of being a new diver. I'm grateful for that.

I used to feel embarassed when I first started diving, buddying up with folks that were more accomplished divers with much better air consumption. They were a big help to me ... some more than they knew ... and I figure I owe it to them to 'pay-it-forward.'

I'll dive with a newbie, but they have to carry my gear to and from the boat.

...ok. Kidding. I agree with what Rick said above. Someone did with me and now it's my turn.

-Bill

bedmund:
I'll dive with a newbie, but they have to carry my gear to and from the boat.

you mean i didn't have to? :11:
actually, he wouldn't let me touch his bc & regs (tek-head!) but i DID get to carry all weights and tanks...

Sometimes, because I am a noob. With around 30 dives I know I can't be experienced. If I only dive with other noobs, how can I get better.

Back
Top Bottom