Exposure Protection and Other Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cerge

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there,

So leaving on the 4th of July and wondering what the best exposure protection might be... I have heard mixed thoughts, but I wanted to get some first hand input.

Also, being that I am most likely staying in San Pedro - what dive sites are best? Will the dive operators (using AquaDives) take care of me as far as sites are concerened or do I need to travel to different islands. In other words, do I need to take a plane to Turneffe or something.

Jason

all you will need is a rash guard for that period of time as the water is already 83 degrees. If you get cold a 3 mil shorty will do.
As for the dive sites they are usually decided the morning of depending upon who is on the boat and where have the others guests been and level of experience. As for the Turneff dive, you go via boat similar to the Blue Hole from Ambergris Caye.
If you want to try the total experience i would do a few day here on Ambergris Caye and then head down to Dangriga, Different wall diving totally than here.
Try Thatch Caye they can take you to lots of other dive sites such as the Devils Pit

Last edited:
Cerge - if you have a skin a bit thicker than the minimalist ones you see around that should be enough. I have one that's "furry" inside and I find it very comfortable year-round here. I would though always choose to have legs and arms fully covered.

Cerge - if you have a skin a bit thicker than the minimalist ones you see around that should be enough. I have one that's "furry" inside and I find it very comfortable year-round here. I would though always choose to have legs and arms fully covered.
Thanks Peter, I have a 2 mill wetsuit I will bring then... Where do I get a furry skin???? Also, you can call me Jason.

If you want to dive the Elbow at Turneffe, Thatch is about one hour and fifteen minutes boat ride from there and can do Devils Pit (a dive similar to the Blue Hole) on the way out there. San Pedro is a much longer boat ride to that area but they are about the same distance to Lighthouse Reef and the Blue Hole.

The water temp here has been eighty four degrees every day and I did a dive with my t shirt the other day and felt fine. When I was working out at Turneffe several years ago, we had a nudist colony rent out the whole resort around this time of the year, and they did not wear anything at all on the dives and were fine. Only thing to worry about are the jellyfish or pica pica which are out sometimes.

When I was working out at Turneffe several years ago, we had a nudist colony rent out the whole resort around this time of the year, and they did not wear anything at all on the dives and were fine. Only thing to worry about are the jellyfish or pica pica which are out sometimes.

I just can't bring myself to dive with dangle-lees!!!!

Where do I get a furry skin?
Mine was made by a company called "Diveskins". Don't know anything else about them though I suppose a Google search should find them. The suit has zero buoyancy, reasonable warmth in the water, dries quickly, and is warm (comfortable) to wear out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom