Face break out diving Help please :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Acne usually has internal causes, HELICOBACTER PYLORI in the intestines and suchlike. For a long time I believed, I had observed a causality between pimples and diving or using makeup before TV interviews. One day I got angina and was treated with antibiotics. Lo and behold, in three days angina was gone and all pimples were gone, too! For several years I had a severe acne problem and basically got rid of it with a course of antibiotics and applying Finacea gel on the problematic areas. Fresh pimples had to be disinfected with a special lotion of alcohol, levomycetin and some other ingredients. I also had to stop washing my face with soap and water and use cleansing solutions like Bioderma instead. A month or two of careful routine and the problem was solved. No pimples after diving or makeup, too. However, one shouldn't do it on her/his own. Consulting a dermatologist is a good idea.

So I normally have very little acne problems but each time I've gone on a dive trip where I'm doing lots of diving over a few days, I break out badly after a couple days. I don't know what is causing it but I think it must be diving realated because its never happened on any other trip.
Last time I tried taking good moisturizers and trying to care for my skin well in between dives. Didn't seem to help much.
Has anyone else had a problem with this?
Anyone have ideas for a cure? :)
Thank you for sharing!
Joy

When I lived in Louisiana, I worked as an UW bridge inspector and dove in that nasty lake several times a week during the work season. My hair and skin were awful at first, and I found a few tricks along the way. This was in a polluted, brackish environment.

Upon exiting the water, rinse rinse rinse your hair and your body with fresh water if available. We kept jugs of fresh water on the boat; I've seen people carry a gallon onto a rec dive boat too. My instructor carries conditioner too and combs it through her hair after a dive. When you are able to bathe, I actually used Hibiclens which may be too intense for your typical dive environment, but NOLA isn't high up on the hygiene list and I had a doctor recommend I bathe with that. I followed it up with a moisturizing soap and applied lotion after bathing as well as a neutrogena facial moisturizer with retinoids. Also, I eventually found a product by Aveda (there are probably cheaper alternatives, I'm just obsessed with the way Aveda smells) you can spray in your hair before going in the sun and actually works best on wet hair. It helps to protect your hair.

I started getting skin splotches on my back and forearms. I began applying Selsun Blue (glob it on and wait about 5 minutes before rinsing) to the affected areas and it worked wonders. I also use Cortison cream during the summer when my skin is constantly in the sun. It's better, I think, if your skin is prone to blackheads and acne. Some scented lotions make my skin red after too much use.

I hope any of that helps!

I have this every time we go diving, and it definitely is the sun plus salt water combo for me. I try to avoid aggravating my skin by literally doing nothing and just staying out of the sun. I do rinse my face with fresh water but I don't mess around with anything that can clog my pores. I might try the lemon juice remedy for break outs though.

I also get lovely breakouts on my neck where the wetsuit zip ends. It's lovely. :wink:

For me it's definitely the sunscreen. But I'd rather pimples than skin cancer so the (coral safe!) sunscreen will win every time.

Back
Top Bottom