Failure: When to Start Again?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zodiakdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have failed my Open Water Course two times. Once with PADI and another with NAUI. I hope to try to certify again in the relative near future. I have not taken a scuba class in over 2 years. I was wondering when the best time to try for recertification would be. I have grown a lot and feel as though I am ready for scuba in a serious way, but I feel as though failure is possible another time. Should I wait longer or should I try the class a third time? I am starting this winter as a grad student in MA, and know i will have dive opportunities this summer. I am anxious to get certified, any advice would be welcomed.
Best of Luck,
Zodiakdiver

I think your best approach would be to have a frank discussion with an Instructor. Why did you fail before? How will you remedy that deficiency? It is impossible to be more specific without knowing quite a bit about your individual circumstances.

It would be helpful to know why you were unsuccessful on your first two attempts. Also, what have you done to correct those weaknesses that makes you ready to try again.
It takes maturity and a strong desire to succeed to post honestly in a forum like this. You will find many people here willing to offer quality advise to help you.

edit: OK, Alex beat me to it by a few seconds LOL

Better (more specific) recommendations might be possible if you're comfortable going into more detail about why you failed, and what remedial training your instructors may have carried out at the time or suggested (if any). Details about yourself (how old were you when you took the first courses, comfort level in the water, any particular anxieties, etc.) might also help to generate better answers.

Good luck.

edit: Alex and Robert beat me to it. :) Well, at least you now know there are people out there willing to help.

Just like the others stated...What difficulties were you having?

I am glad for you, and for your instructor, to not pass you if you are not ready. It is a sign of a good instructor, if he/she does not want you to risk your life in a sport that you should enjoy. Some folks just take longer to learn cerebral skills (like diving charts), and some take longer to learn manual skills.

Stick with it, and you'll be a better diver in the long run, and perhaps - one day - be a good scuba instructor.

The best time to take up scuba again, is right after you failed. So your mistakes are fresh in your mind, and many dive shops will not charge you to tag on the next class, if they have space. Consider private one-on-one instruction... Consider pool sessions with a DM if your instructor allows, to work on your weak points.... It is better to be fully qualified, before you get your certificate, than to get a card, and not having the skills to back it up.

If your weakness is anxiety, perhaps taking up snorkeling and swimming for a while, to overcome your fear.... But it never hurts to try again, and again....

What everyone else said. If you are willing to post what happened in detail, perhaps the board can help you work though those issues or give you suggestions on how to improve in those areas.

Good Luck

Basically what others have said but I would go back & talk to one of the instructors, find out what went wrong & have another go @ it this early summer(warmer water, less weight etc etc needed-should feel more comfortable than with thicker suits on).......

No comment.

I agree with the others that knowing how you fell short in the 2 prior attempts would be helpful. Lacking that information private lessons would be the surest way of being successful.If all else fails spend some serious time skin-diving.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom