Fast question on free flow with air2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back up the train here. A free flow happens in your first stage. You notice it in your second stage! If you breathe off the second reg, it will start to free flow and you'll lose your air twice as fast.
Edit - Well, I've only had this happen when it's an icing up issue in the first stage. If you just depress your purge, it won't happen unless you're in cold water. (It will inturn ice up your first stage then repeat my first part of the post.)

The Kraken:
Not terribly - next time you have your rig put together and your air on, disconnect the B/C L/P inflator hose. You'll experience some resistance, but not so much that you can't overcome it.

That's good to know. thanks

awap:
With practice, it is not difficult to disconnect or to connect while under pressure. It is probably something you should be practicing and comfortable doing.

yup. will add it to my drill list.

:idea: You may want to think about that for a minute or two . . .

The first stage provides a continuous supply of air to the second stage. The second stage is a demand type valve that allows the constant air supply from the first stage to supply air to the diver.

ClevelandDiver:
Try it out for yourself and see (on the surface of course). Hold down the purge button with one hand and disconnect the hose with the other. Don't have the air2 yet and just thinking about it? No problem. Hold down you inflator button (would it be insulting if I repreated "on the surface"?) on your BC and disconnect the hose. Not a big deal.

Thanks. I would of course try to clear the free flow first, put thumb over hole,[ in primary reg] turn it upside down and it that didn't work think abut switching to air2. Do you put the palm of your hand over outlets in air 2?

It would seem that switching to air 2, with primary reg free flow, is preferable to sipping air of free flowing reg while doing cesa?

Switching to the alternate air source would double the loss of air. The primary is free flowing and now you're pulling air from the tank via the alternate air source.

The Kraken:
Switching to the alternate air source would double the loss of air. The primary is free flowing and now you're pulling air from the tank via the alternate air source.

I'm gald I raised this questsion because I had this backasswards. Back to sipping air off primary reg while doing CESA. Air2 is not in the free flow equatuion then?

pilot fish:
Thanks. I would of course try to clear the free flow first, put thumb over hole,[ in primary reg] turn it upside down and it that didn't work think abut switching to air2. Do you put the palm of your hand over outlets in air 2?

It would seem that switching to air 2, with primary reg free flow, is preferable to sipping air of free flowing reg while doing cesa?

It is certainly easier from a task management standpoint. But if you were low on air to begin with, you will be sucking down even more using the Air2. If you are really deep you might want to sip as much of that free flow as you can before the tank empties. I know you were talking about a cesa situation, but using your rapidly diminishing air to get to your buddies octo is probably your best bet.

By the way, this all much easier said than done. We had a guy free flow in 45 degree water at 118 feet in lake Erie and he bolted for the surface. He did not try to sip the air or switch to his octo. Fortunately 2 people stopped him and someone jammed a reg in his mouth. The diver even had a pony bottle with him that he completely forgot about. You never know for sure what you will do until it happens to you.

ClevelandDiver:
It is certainly easier from a task management standpoint. But if you were low on air to begin with, you will be sucking down even more using the Air2. If you are really deep you might want to sip as much of that free flow as you can before the tank empties. I know you were talking about a cesa situation, but using your rapidly diminishing air to get to your buddies octo is probably your best bet.

By the way, this all much easier said than done. We had a guy free flow in 45 degree water at 118 feet in lake Erie and he bolted for the surface. He did not try to sip the air or switch to his octo. Fortunately 2 people stopped him and someone jammed a reg in his mouth. The diver even had a pony bottle with him that he completely forgot about. You never know for sure what you will do until it happens to you.

You are soooooooooooooooooo right, panic is a beach, and you are never certain what you will do.

pilot fish:
I'm gald I raised this questsion because I had this backasswards. Back to sipping air off primary reg while doing CESA. Air2 is not in the free flow equatuion then?

I'm glad you asked the question too. I haven't practiced sipping air for quite some time. Might be a fun skill to work on at the quarry this weekend. I have a huge tank and I would like to see how much air it takes in a controlled situation with my buddy by my side. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom