Fast question on free flow with air2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClevelandDiver:
I'm glad you asked the question too. I haven't practiced sipping air for quite some time. Might be a fun skill to work on at the quarry this weekend. I have a huge tank and I would like to see how much air it takes in a controlled situation with my buddy by my side. Thanks!

That is the harder, I think, of the practice drills to perform. I'd always be afraid I would accidently hold my breath a moment or two while ascending. It's a bit scary

pilot fish:
That is the harder, I think, of the practice drills to perform. I'd always be afraid I would accidently hold my breath a moment or two while ascending. It's a bit scary

My instructor was old school and made us practice buddy breathing (share one reg) while swimming 3 lengths of the pool. After we figured that out, the sadist made us do it with the donating party having their mask removed. His reasoning for the donator to be without a mask was that your freaked out buddy could knock your mask off the first time he grabs for your reg. Buddy breathing while swimming without a mask really sucks. I have since practiced buddy breathing, but never again with my mask off. I should probably do the easier donate your octo maskless ascent, but somehow I always talk myself out of it.

I would think that if the free flow was caused by cold water (i.e. ice diving), and it was caused by a freeze up in the first stage, the free flow could occur in the safe second as well. And if if occured in the second stage primary, then the same conditions might exist to have it occur in the safe second as well, thereby doubling your air loss. So in any free flow, I would sip from my primary as taught in OW training, ascend and determine the cause of the free flow.

Paco:
I would think that if the free flow was caused by cold water (i.e. ice diving), and it was caused by a freeze up in the first stage, the free flow could occur in the safe second as well. And if if occured in the second stage primary, then the same conditions might exist to have it occur in the safe second as well, thereby doubling your air loss. So in any free flow, I would sip from my primary as taught in OW training, ascend and determine the cause of the free flow.
In cold water, your second reg will only start if it's triggered. Either way, like you suggested, use the OW training to get to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom