Feedback about PADI on-line elearning diver certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It eliminates the printed textbook, which means that both the shop and PADI don't get to sell a book, so the shop loses a few bucks on the book and PADI loses a few bucks, but since PADI also gets $120 for the online class, they come out way ahead. For the student, it could be more or less expensive than a normal class, depending on how the shop/instructor charges.

The e-learning replaces purchasing the book and DVD. PADI splits the e-learning fee with the dive shop. So the dive shop doesn't really lose anything. It ends up being about the same profit as selling the book and DVD. And, as a side note, the $120 was increased to $138 some time ago. By next year I think it will be $146.

I teach combination of elearning and classroom. Like Jim said, you get to know your students when you discuss with them in the class and by conversation you really see if they get it or not. However the elearning is much better tool for preparing to the course done by the undoubtfully great method of prescriptive teaching compared to reading the book. I make them do the elearning and then spend about 3-5 hours in class.

Everybody who is not old and stuck in "good old way we always did it when i was young, the age when ships were made of wood and men from steel" will propably agree that the looooong lectures are a teaching method of yesterday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom