Female problem - females only please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HappyDiving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Ladies,
Wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. I've found that when I dive consecutively in the for a few days I tend to get a yeast infection but I'm not sure if it is due to the salt water or decreased immunity from traveling etc. Has anyone else had this problem?

Can't say I've ever heard of that. Have you seen your OBGYN?

DAN might be able to recommend an OBGYN that is familiar with diving. I know they do that with ENTs.

Is this on tropical trips? Are you sitting around in a wet bathing suit for prolonged periods of time?

I have never had one, but the changes while traveling and diet may have something to do with it. Do you eat yogurt when you travel? They say to eat that when on antibiotics to help prevent yeast infections...perhaps that would help you.

Does it happen when you are just swimming?

I'm not a veteran diver like the others but have done several trips where I'm diving on consecutive days and have never had one. My only advice would be to listen to the veterans.

My first thought is whether you are using any kind of antibiotic prophylaxis for traveler's diarrhea or something? I'm prone to yeast infections, and have never had one from a diving trip.

The most likely cause is constant moisture by wearing wet clothing. Antibiotics frequently kill normal bacteria leading to yeast or other types of vaginitis. Yeast spores can remain in clothing and cause reinfection later. Diabetes and immune disorders also can lead to yeast infection. Do not sit around in wet clothing if at all possible. Wear loose fitting undergarments to permit air to circulate keeping dry. Try a new suit. Ask your OB/GYN. SKIPPY3 OB/GYN 30 years

great suggestions! Thank you! actually now that you mention it I was on pills and definitely was sitting around in wet clothing! I will try that next time I am near water and can dive consecutively again. I really should go see the GYN.

drink lost of cranberry juice during dives and try to stay as dry as you can . maybe dont use underwear when sleeping and see if that works .

Egad, I had this bout of re-occurring yeast infections last year that made me nuts and an psuedo expert on the do's and dont's of yeast infections.

First, we always have some amount of yeast in us and it is perfectly harmless. However, when the pH balance is changed drastically, the perfectly harmless yeast goes into overdrive. Antibiotics is one culprit. Wet, damp tight fitting clothes another. Google yeast infections and you will find a plethora of other reasons (including our partners) that will cause a sudden yeast infection.

You may want to consider using a women's hygiene product in the shower daily while on scuba trips. The product I use is Summers Eve. I don't think you have to use Summers Eve, other brands should work the same way.

Don't use the Summers Eve douche, douching is a great way to bring on a yeast infection. Look for the femine wash, which is very similar to liquid body soap.

Summer's Eve also makes a moist towlette, which could be helpful when you change out of your wet bathing suit on a boat or away from your shower.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom