Finally saw a Grunt Sculpin at Whitecliff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been looking for these little fellas and on the first dive this afternoon I finally managed to spot one.

:D

Just thought I'd share. They are very very cool :)

We were at around 50 feet, we dove the bay side of the islet, down at 80, then back at 50 and progressively shallower. It was around 6 pm.

Viz was fine, some milky parts but no problem at all :)

Grunt sculins are awsome, I love finding those guys. I once found three (may have been four, can't remember exactly) down the cut at 80ft, that was cool.

I see them frequently on deco stops. I think it is because I am still for long enough to actually see them move. They are hard to see when they are still. For some reason they are bigger in Victoria than up-island.

I love grunt sculpins. They are my favourite fish in these waters. I was with s. starfish on that dive where he saw 3. The best thing was...they were about 2ft apart from eachother. It was really exciting.

.... and another on yesterdays dive.

After not seeing them ever, now I see them on back to back dives :D

IMG_1286.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

A couple shots I got at Albert Head here in Victoria. This little guy had taken up residence in an empty old barnacle shell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom