Finning backward applications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the link. Now all I have to do is go practice, practice, practice - and hope at some point I get it right so I can memorize how it feels when it's working.

Well I tried it for the first time a couple of days ago. As much as I can not figure out how it works, it certainly does. I'm going to do nothing but parctice this skill at Roger's Rock this year and hope I can get it down and develop the muscle memory to do it well in prep for Bonaire.

Thanks again to those who posted links to the skill. I would never, ever had figured it out on my own. Totally counterintuitive to me.

if you can back fin in a cave, odds are you can find a way to turn around, but more than likely you will push yourself backwards as back finning is horribly inefficient. Not sure of any real application of back finning for that long unless you are filming someone from the front
cave instruction

No need for fins at all for the backwards kick. You should be able to be in doubles, stage, and two deco bottles and back kick without fins. If you're not moving, you're doing it wrong
Snarky Comment deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Snarky Comment deleted.

he has a bit of a point though, not sure if he was being an a$$ or not, but if you can't move backwards without fins then you are actually doing something wrong technique wise *granted in the configuration he mentioned you aren't going to be breaking and speed records, but you'll at least make head way*. Practicing without fins on in a pool is the best way to learn how to go backwards because it forces your feet to go into the proper position without the fins giving you a false sense of proficiency.

he has a bit of a point though,... if you can't move backwards without fins then you are actually doing something wrong technique wise...Practicing without fins on in a pool is the best way to learn

Backwards...and forwards...and helicopter. Taking the fins off is a good test of fundamentals. If the fundamentals are flawed, then chasing after glamorous fin kicks is a lesson in futility.

I once had a tech student who turned up with some 'homemade' split-fins (hacked up a nice pair of Quattros to create DIY splits!). Don't laugh... you get see everything, eventually. Couldn't propel anywhere... dead slow. Helicopter turns and back-kick was a non-starter. He only conceded that he needed better fins once I took my fins off....and barefooted... still comfortably moved faster than he could keep up with. LOL

Curiosity topic here.

Background: Just came across a thread where a fin was described as less suitable for 100-200ft backward swims.

Questions: What practical applications do you use extended backwards swims? How frequently do you drill for it? What's your preferred patterns?

Well that's that.

Regards,
Cameron
Someone's havin' a larf

When diving muck I wished more divers used a back kick...I would have less back scatter in my photos. Nothing worse than a diver turning around and kicking up the muck ruining a photo.
I will also use a back kick to manuvre around a reef. Nothing worse than a photographer kicking the reef while or after shooting photos.

When diving muck I wished more divers used a back kick...I would have less back scatter in my photos. Nothing worse than a diver turning around and kicking up the muck ruining a photo.
I will also use a back kick to manuvre around a reef. Nothing worse than a photographer kicking the reef while or after shooting photos.
yeah in UW phot/video being able to back fin is a HUGE advantage

Someone's havin' a larf

Big difference to how you practice as a drill, compared to the skill you're trying to master.

I can't envision many scenarios where a 200ft backwards swim would be necessary.

I CAN understand how a 200ft backwards swim is more beneficial than a 20ft backwards swim.... when practicing back-kick :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom