Fins and manoeuvrability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that is genuinly very interesting, i stopped following this thread because it seemed to be going round aaaannnnnddd around, just thought i would look today out of curiosity.

dan, please tell me no fish though? or only pole and line?
Well, I mentioned fish mostly due to discussion of a Paleo style diet....In the world we live in now, even if I wanted fish, most has so much heavy metal toxicity that it is hard to find healthy fish to eat....so no, fish is unlikely to in my diet when I switch to Paleo :)
I dont think I will be able to find Wild Atlantic Salmon off of Palm Beach :)

Mercola is wrong on so many issues much of the medical community considers his advice dangerous. Nothing more than a profiteer with a title selling snake oil. He has been ordered several times by different agencies to stop promoting his products with false claims.

---------- Post added October 9th, 2015 at 10:22 AM ----------

Dan because you lost weight and lowered your BMI is not even close to being proof that yours and Mercola's "gut bacteria re-colonization theory" is factual. It only proves you ate on veggies for a while and dropped weight. This has nothing to do with fins anyway. Neither does scientology, because I have a feeling that is going to surface very soon the way this ride is rolling. But kudos on the fitness.

Mercola is wrong on so many issues much of the medical community considers his advice dangerous. Nothing more than a profiteer with a title selling snake oil. He has been ordered several times by different agencies to stop promoting his products with false claims.

---------- Post added October 9th, 2015 at 10:22 AM ----------

Dan because you lost weight and lowered your BMI is not even close to being proof that yours and Mercola's "gut bacteria re-colonization theory" is factual. It only proves you ate on veggies for a while and dropped weight. This has nothing to do with fins anyway. Neither does scientology, because I have a feeling that is going to surface very soon the way this ride is rolling. But kudos on the fitness.
The Mercola validity would be an entirely separate thread...obviously. ...

I do need to state that BMI is among the most worthless of tests ever created.

The Mercola validity would be an entirely separate thread...obviously. ... I do need to state that BMI is among the most worthless of tests ever created.
On perfectly spherical divers of uniform density BMI works just fine.
Some people out there say we must start collecting and preserving crap of the few surviving "primitive" people because once they're gone we'll no longer have any way to find out what healthy gut bacteria looked like. Whether eating raw fruit'n'veg promotes their growth or simply severely restricts your calorie intake, at least some parts of this gut bacteria thing are perfectly reasonable and valid.

On the nonsense of the BMI test and any quack doctor or agency using it....you could easily have a test group of 10 or 100 people, in varying states of average fitness to elite fitness....and the person that scores as the most obese on the BMI test, could quite realistically score as the very highest in fitness on a VO2 Max test and a water immersion body fat test....

VO2 max is extremely relevant to divers for propulsion without high breathing rate or high effort....and as to in-gassing and off-gassing of nitrogen.

VO2 max is extremely relevant to divers for propulsion without high breathing rate or high effort....and as to in-gassing and off-gassing of nitrogen.

Perhaps it is. But gut bacteria, Quack Mercola, Paleo diets, Vegans, and PCB riddled fish are not.

BMI... you could easily have a test group of 10 or 100 people, in varying states of average fitness to elite fitness...
... but if you're a clinic serving a 100,000 average people in your area, the number of elite athletes will likely be below the round-off height/mass division error. If you're in Smallville USA, 99% of them will be "in shape" to moderately obese and BMI will be actually fairly representative even without adjusting for age, gender, or body type. Edit: unless it's the Crystallville USA with a slightly different "average" population.

I'd go dolphin instead but the reg hits me in the head on every stroke...

You need one of my DOL-Fins! :wink:

[video]https://youtu.be/Kr4vUrCWuXg[/video]

It keeps your body flat to eliminate the head bump.

Last edited:
Perhaps it is. But gut bacteria, Quack Mercola, Paleo diets, Vegans, and PCB riddled fish are not.

Sorry,
When anonymous posters began hurling nasty insults, I had little choice other than trying to map out what I know to be true, in an effort to show the validity of my previous posts.
And while gut bacteria may not seem on point to this discussion, if it is shown in the coming year(s) that divers--of which a very large percentage ARE obese....are also heavily impacted by this bad bacteria--that this is why they struggle so with weight...then the issue of safety in diving as weight effects this, gets some serious play with gut bacteria.
The issue crystallizes with what is the main cause of the bad gut bacteria---this being sugar and processed food, causing an explosion of the bad bacteria.
Correlation....Divers drink massive amounts of coke and other sugar drinks on diveboats...it is not just the insulin and calorie issue, but the way this changes their intestinal flora.

If you disagree with this, instead of being snotty, how about we agree that I won't post any thing more on this in this thread, until some kind of unassailable proof shows up for this theory...and you try to be a bit less aggressively offensive in your blasts directed at me....?
Deal?

Back
Top Bottom