Fins are too big, what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know you're right but I want to believe in a magical solution :D

The right answer is never to work with the fix when your life depends on it. I understand, but right now there's a guy (or gal) out there thinking, "Damn, I wish I'd bought a size larger."

Even if you are out $200, is that worth your life?

I don't have the RK3's, but the spring strap attachment (long bolt and nut) looks similar to the way spring straps would attach to Rockets, Turtles, and Jetfins. I think it's likely those from XS Scuba or Halcyon that come in different sizes would fit as a replacement.

I've also thought about gluing neoprene or rubber inside foot pockets but don't know about longevity. Ultimately, it'll be easier just to get the right size unless you're magically able to get your hacks to work. Fins are so important to your comfort underwater that you'll probably go through several models and sizes just to find something that works for you. Certainly I did.

Since you got a great deal, consider that a fin acquisition service charge for the right sized ones.

Have you had a chance to try them to make sure they generally work for you and that you don't need to move to a totally different brand/model that's more or less floaty?

Get yourself a $20 pair of knock-off Chuck Taylors. My favorite dive boot yet.

Poseidon totally bit them.

Oh. The other thing to do is put pipe insulation around the spring. Anything with a 1/2" I'd will do fine.

Yes, they'll get a wee loose at depth but maybe give it a shot.

Sell them and get something that fits. Really. Use an LDS or someplace like Leisure Pro that has a liberal return policy.

Fins are consumable items that require periodic replacement. A failure under the wrong circumstances can lead to an emergency.

If the springs are moved to the forward pins and they are still too loose then just buy some smaller springs. Several retailers sell them. Remove a spring and measure it so you know the length. A lot of people, IMO, wear fins that are much too tight. It shouldn't be a struggle to get them on or off.

Now is a chance to try Altama OTB boots.

As suggested, get shorter springs. I wear the largest Hollis F1 fins with the shortest Hollis spring kit. Fins are now super easy to remove on the swim step but also very secure in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom