Fins are too big, what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies :)

Haven't had a chance to try them yet no. I think it's just a matter of half an inch:
- If I put my foot all the day inside the foot pocket (as far as I can), the strap can come out of my foot without pulling (it barely skims the boot when passing it)
- If I put my foot slightly further back, it is impossible for me to remove the fin by moving my foot violently in the air (I tried a lot of different kicks :)), but my foot wiggles inside the pocket (left and right).

I'd still get the wiggling with a tighter strap so yeah, I'm gonna sell them with a slight profit and look for my size.

FWIW, Dive Rite XT's have a very narrow foot pocket. That might put an end to your wiggles.

my foot wiggles inside the pocket (left and right).

I'd still get the wiggling with a tighter strap.
That's how I wear my fins, I find it way more comfortable without any performance loss. Definately go for what works for you.

Wrap your booties with a roll of duct tape.

Theresa. Very easy solution. Order some halcyon spring straps from extreme exposure. If they’re not tight enough to fix the issue then sell the fins and chalk it up to a learning experience.

I never see the Dive Rite XT on the second hand market (I'm in France, they're not well distributed over here). And my broke ass doesn't want to pay 150eur for a piece of plastic that I can get for 50 :D :D :D

Why Halcyon spring straps rather than getting the Apeks one (there's a guy selling the strap from the regular fins for 15eur, I might get that? Not sure how much tighter they are).

I never see the Dive Rite XT on the second hand market (I'm in France, they're not well distributed over here). And my broke ass doesn't want to pay 150eur for a piece of plastic that I can get for 50 :D :D :D

Why Halcyon spring straps rather than getting the Apeks one (there's a guy selling the strap from the regular fins for 15eur, I might get that? Not sure how much tighter they are).

because I’ve never seen the apeks ones in person. I’ve seen the xs scuba ones. They’re ok. Not great. The halcyon ones I know are great and come in enough sizes they can work for anybody. Unless the foot pocket is just way too wide due to being the wrong size.

Probably over the boot rather than under no? The boot is fitting perfectly, with a sock inside it will be too tight.
Also thought of putting a small rag/towel inside the footpocket to gain a few mm but I'm worried I'll lose that in the ocean everytime I remove my fins in the water

You could try a 6.5mm 4th Element Amphibian boot, fixed a too big fin issue I had a few years back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom