Fins for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One negative I have found to full foot fins is climbing up some boat ladders ...

The boat used to have round rungs and they hurt my feet without boots. I B*&^*ched until Alison bought a ladder with flat steps...:rant:

gkrane... Whatever fins you all have will be just fine. The great thing about Coz diving is there is minimal finning to be done as the slow current does the finning for you... You just go with the flow.

gkrane... Whatever fins you all have will be just fine. The great thing about Coz diving is there is minimal finning to be done as the slow current does the finning for you... You just go with the flow.

Unless you or your buddy like to stop to get a look at something. I have brought my little Hollis F2s on previous trips and will probably bring them again because they're so darn packable, but my buddy and I aren't photographers or otherwise finding ourselves wanting to stop in the current. If you're a go-with-the-flow diver, any fins will do.

You're going to have fins for all of your diving, not just your diving in Cozumel. Closed foot boots might be fine for warm water diving, but not for colder water. Personally, I would purchase fins for all of your diving. As an example, I have Dive Rite XTs and dive them in all environments, they are very good for me. Back in the day, I had closed foot fins for diving in Grand Cayman, I abandomned them for general use.

The boat used to have round rungs and they hurt my feet without boots. I B*&^*ched until Alison bought a ladder with flat steps...:rant:

Thanks Chief....good to know about flat steps on the Maximus...even with solid booties, the round type ladder rungs hurt my feet. Alison is still on our list for our next Coz trip as she was booked for our last trip..
Double S

Last edited:
I have hollis f1's for my cold water diving, and have been using hollis f2's for tropical diving. I will go with them in coz. My wife will just go with the flow of the dive so i guess her old SP splits will do fine then. Thanks for the replies.

I would love to try some full foot freediving fins but I also plan to shore dive in front of the blue angel alot with my young son so i need my boots.

I hauled my boots and fins around. For. Years. I finally bought a pair of full foot fins, some lightweight neoprene booties and a travel BC. Easy to pack, easy to lug around, easy on, easy off. Never looked back. SO much easier! Of course, this is my warm water, boat diving setup. Wouldn't work with my drysuit or on shore dives.

I haven't noticed a difference in the water other than my feet aren't as buoyant. Maybe I'd stick with a one size fits all setup if I still took 10 day dive vacations with 4 dives a day.... but now I like to relax, visit and do other activities. I only dive 3 or 4 days in a vacation so gear that packs and performs in Cozumel or Hawaii fits MY needs...

Any fins will work just fine. Enjoy the ride.

These are fantastic full foot fins:
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrsfqp/mares-avanti-quattro-power-full-foot-long-blade-fins
They take muscle to move through the water as they are big thus moving lots of water per kick. Once you try them you will not want to go back. They run big size wise... Order a size smaller than what your shoe size is. I normally wear 10.5 shoes but ended up with the 8-9 size fin pocket for my feet. If you ever drop something in a brisk current and have to kick back... These are the fins you want. I've been on dive boat when there are only one or two people (including DM's) that are not wearing these fins. Use a metallic or white colored sharpie to put your name on them. Do NOT hang them on a drying rack peg by the heel as they will not last long. The hot sun and the weight of the fin hanging on the heel will just kill them.
Since I'm allergic to hydroids I also wear cheap Lycra socks on my feet.
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-xssls/xs-scuba-lycra-socks
Many thanks to Sallye who turned me onto the socks (she gave me a pair) and one of many (Liang, Dario, Steve...) who recommended the Quattro power fins.
I do not wear the socks walking on the deck of the boat as they are slick on bare wet fiberglass boat decks. If the boat deck is padded, no worries. YMMV

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom