Fins for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably, after thousands of dives here it is hard to remember. But I do well remember those things that work well.

dave

Well, you thought you knew Margaritas until I showed you how they are SUPPOSED to be.... :drunks:

Well, you thought you knew Margaritas until I showed you how they are SUPPOSED to be.... :drunks:

And I really well remember those things that tried to kill me! Next time with you its beer.

Dave

And I really well remember those things that tried to kill me! Next time with you its beer.

Dave

Sheesh.... Kids today.....

marg big.jpg

I know this is an old thread but I dove with Prop Joe and Sally a couple days in March and was left in the dust by them, fins might have done a little to aid in that. I am currently on Roatan and stopped by the Mares shop here and they have a pare of Quattro's FF for $89. Am I missing something? This is much cheaper than I could get on line. I don't have luggage that they would fit in but I could figure something out.

Hey, I'm terrible with names and I was there for two weeks. Whom are you?
Sallye made me do it! Fins that is along with, Liang, Cindy, Steve, Dario, Ken, Gary, Jeff and many others... We are frequently on hunting boats and that is the only fin you will see divers wear on these boats. Sooner or later you'll need new fins and these are nice.
Here you want these:
Mares Avanti Quattro Power Full Foot Long Blade Fins
Size's run small. I'm normally a 10.5 and ended up with the 8-9 size. If you have oomph in your legs to drive them, you will not want to dive any other fins. These fins do not "slip" they propel you with each kick. I was a skeptic too, until I dove them. What you really need is a giant twin strobe camera rig to appreciate these fins in the Cozumel current... :daydream: My rig is like carrying a sail uinderwater. Even though these are great fins, there are times I just clip off the camera as we are rippin' to fast to even think about a picture. If you can get them fins for $89, I'd be all over that. I got mine on sale for $119 at LP a coupe of years ago.
Maybe we'll meet again...

I hauled my boots and fins around. For. Years. I finally bought a pair of full foot fins, some lightweight neoprene booties and a travel BC. Easy to pack, .

Do you have full foot fins that fit in a carry-on? Most of the ones I've seen would need to go in a checked bag.

To OP:

Personally I love my old ScubaPro Lightning Jet Fins. They fit into my carry-on and work for me for everything. Prop Joe says he sees everyone including DMs wearing the ones he recommended. I see many DMs and instructors wearing Jet Fins. I guess it depends upon which boat you are on :wink:

BTW the "Lightning" isn't an official name for the fins, as far as I know. When ScubaPro originally released the Jet Fins (1960s?) they had a round ScubaPro logo on the top. Then they came out with fins that have a lightning bolt through the logo and these are made of more flexible rubber. The original ones are still great but I prefer the Lightnings.

Last December in Cozumel I met up with a woman who has been diving a lot longer than I have and she doesn't like Jet Fins for Cozumel. At the end of my last dive we were (for an unknown reason) heading into the current near the end of the dive. I was very glad that I had my Jet Fins on.

Joe I was on same boat with you guys when we tried to go around the south end but it was too rough, the next day at eagle ray wall. There is no need for these fins here in Roatan but I might pick them up before leaving, I just don't have baggage they will fit in.

Steve

Full foot fins work great for warm water diving on a boat, but no matter how good the fin, it has to fit right.

A thin lycra sock will help comfort and a thin neoprene sock can snug up a slightly loose fit. Key word is slightly. If the fin is too big, the benefits of full foot will be lost. Fin should be snug all around, length, width, height.

James: My fins don't fit in carry-on. I travel with a carryon contianing all my clothes and necessities and then a duffel solely for dive gear and all the misc. things I mule down for friends and various organizations. Thinking about the question...I don't think I would like short fins that would fit in carryon?

And I totally agree with Ron. I can snorkel for a couple hours in my fins with bare feet, but always wear my thin neoprene socks when I dive. Makes them fit super comfy and snug enough for those times the current becomes uncooperative.

James: My fins don't fit in carry-on. I travel with a carryon contianing all my clothes and necessities and then a duffel solely for dive gear and all the misc. things I mule down for friends and various organizations. Thinking about the question...I don't think I would like short fins that would fit in carryon?

And I totally agree with Ron. I can snorkel for a couple hours in my fins with bare feet, but always wear my thin neoprene socks when I dive. Makes them fit super comfy and snug enough for those times the current becomes uncooperative.

Up until now I've managed to only bring a carry-on and small backpack. But since my girlfriend is doing a checked bag anyway I'm going to start bringing a BC instead of renting one when I get there. Besides, on this trip we are going to Puerto Vallarta so I figure we will need to bring some empty suitcases and fill them up there. On my last trip there I bought a bunch of stuff and I AM NOT a shopper. In any case I now have the option of longer fins if I should ever decide to want them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom