Fins that'll fit in my bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ppatin, Size does matter.View attachment 187872

I was wondering when you or DanVolker would mention that Force Fins are far and away the easiest fins to deal with when traveling.

But that clipped picture with your fins next to Liberators is not aas useful. I have broken Liberators in two. Fairly new ones in fact, that were borrowed rental fins, but they did not have the burble on the rail from OW students standing on them.

And I have seen any other non-hinged fin do that, other than a Jet Fin we were using as a hammer.

I know your Force Fins are much more durable, and useful than the Liberators.

Thanks for all the advice. I was going to go with the Aeris fins since they're the cheapest but the straps on them look a bit flimsy. Are they easy to replace if they break?

The straps are not flimsy and work very well and are excellent. Not only do I like them but the Coz deckhands liked them because they are so easy to pull onto the divers feet.

The Aeris Accel fins are roughly the equal of a Jet fins size L in terms of thrust and about 80% the thrust of the SP Jet size XL. But, see, very few people can really kick a Jet Fin size XL to it's 100% thrust effectively or for very long and the Accels can be kicked all day long, they are snappy and very light, about 1/3 the weight of Jets. So, yes, you will compromise the power a little bit compared to the gold standard of SCUBA fins, the Jet XL, or the well known Mares Quattro/Avanti but not terribly so. As well, the Accel does every kick as good as or better than a Jet and IMO better than the Quattro/Avanti type.

If you just hate the straps, the Accel has the universal post which will accept any number of common spring straps, if you absolutely must have spring straps. The whole purpose of these fins is low weight and short length coupled with snappy performance, sticking spring straps on them defeats some of the purpose.

N

If you just hate the straps, the Accel has the universal post which will accept any number of common spring straps, if you absolutely must have spring straps. The whole purpose of these fins is low weight and short length coupled with snappy performance, sticking spring straps on them defeats some of the purpose.

N
Agree completely. I'm literally packing for a trip, as we speak. I put the springs in the suitcase, then asked myself "why am I bringing those" ? I took them out, and put the Aeris supplied straps in. Not to mention, my bag was at 51lbs and taking the springs out helped to get it back under 50lbs. :)

Thanks for all the advice. I was going to go with the Aeris fins since they're the cheapest but the straps on them look a bit flimsy. Are they easy to replace if they break?

The Aeris Accel straps aren't flimsy as much a stretchy. I did put springs on them because I had them and find they are easier for me to use (old age flexibility & gut). I do bring the original straps with me as backups. If the springs caused a baggage weight problem I wouldn't be afraid to use the originals.

It seems like going with bungie rather springs might do some good for the Accels then.

They will be either disappearing or becoming Oceanic things soon enough so they should be getting cheap pretty soon, too. Because everything Aeris is going away.

It seems like going with bungie rather springs might do some good for the Accels then.

They will be either disappearing or becoming Oceanic things soon enough so they should be getting cheap pretty soon, too. Because everything Aeris is going away.

I didn't like the silicone straps, I couldn't get a good fit. I put some Seawing Nova bungees on and for me work much better, feel more robust and secure.

If you decide to get the Aeris Accels, Leisure Pro has them for half off (49.99) if you place the order by phone. You have to pay shipping ($8 for me) whereas you would get free shipping from their website, but considering the savings on the fins I was fine with paying shipping. It seems to be an ongoing deal as people on the forum have reported getting this price for the last few months.

If you decide to get the Aeris Accels, Leisure Pro has them for half off (49.99) if you place the order by phone. You have to pay shipping ($8 for me) whereas you would get free shipping from their website, but considering the savings on the fins I was fine with paying shipping. It seems to be an ongoing deal as people on the forum have reported getting this price for the last few months.

i've been looking for a good travel fin and after reading this thread, I too just picked up a pair of these from Leisure Pro for $49.99 yesterday. They arrived today! Nice little sturdy fin as far as I can tell and much more travel-friendly (size-wise) than my Slingshots. Can't wait to try them out during my upcoming Key Largo trip. I only wear thick soled boots (Sea Soft's 6mm boot to be exact), whether it's local quarry diving or warm water diving. I bought one size up and they fit perfectly. I am a die hard spring strap fan and wasn't sure how I'd feel about the stretch strap that comes with it but they feel very secure and are still easy to put on and take off. Can't go wrong at that price!

I bought Aeris Accel fins and wasn't completely thrilled with them until I threw away the cheap straps and replaced them with Scubapro Seawing Nova bungees. Perfect fit and now they seem to be my "go to" fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom