First Certified Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Blue-13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We (wife and I) just got back from a short Jamaican vacation where we finished up our OW certification and I wanted to share a few observations/thoughts.

First and foremost - a great big thank you to all that post regularly on these boards. I knew I had picked up a lot of information, but wasn't sure how much I'd retained until I got in to the water and everything came back as I needed it. I am certain I am a better diver (especially as a newbie) because of all of your information, advice, and knowledge.

1st post certification dive went much how I expected it to, we were on the boat, got the briefing about the site, how long we should expect to be down, and buddy pairs assigned, buddy checks, etc. We hit the water, made sure everyone was OK and began our descent. It was at the bottom that ScubaBoard really started ringing in my head- loudly - I watched 1 diver (who I later found out finished his certification the day before me) immediately ditched his buddy and swam off on his own, ended up literally 200' from his buddy, kicking every coral and fish he came across along the way. I had 2 distinct thoughts, 1st was "what a putz", and 2nd was "he is of absolutely no help to his buddy if there's a problem, and if he has an issue we're pulling a body back to the boat."

Once we all regrouped and were all within a safer distance of one another, he begins floundering around on his own again and at some point ends up above my wife and nearly kicked her mask off. Needless to say, I was more than a little pissed, and stayed just a little closer to her "just in case".

Fortunately that was his last dive of the week so he didn't pose any more of an issue on any of our later dives.

We did receive a nice compliment, that again, I owe to all of the information here. We were talking with a few experienced divers who asked how long we'd been diving, when we said we had just been certified they were legitimately shocked! Said we looked like we've been diving for years, good trim, good buoyancy, good form and manners, etc. Come to find out, I continually surfaced with as much air as this guy with Rescue Diver that's been diving for over 10 years as well! I may be reading too much in to it, but at this point in my career (7 dives) I am thrilled to be surfacing with 1100 PSI after 45 minutes bottom time.

I could go on about all of our dives, but really I just wanted to say thank you, and to say that after a lot of reading here, I feel like I'm capable of adding something to the conversation.

Some folks are "naturals" and at ease underwater from the get-go, and some have good instruction.

The lucky ones have both. Sounds as though you may be in that number.

Welcome to the post-cert "pool", and good diving!

Congratulations on getting certified and starting diving.

I think what this forum achieves so will is raising awareness of issues and experiences. A diver could go a lifetime without seeing or hearing about a lot of the items discussed here and, irrespective of the disagreements that occasionally crop up, can pick up a lot of good advice.

It makes us more thinking divers and I don't think that can be a bad thing.

congrats on joining the tribe!

come and dive with us here on Florida's Treasure Coast. you'll have an awesome time

Funny enough - my latest Google search was for "Florida Dive Vacations"

We did decide this week that we will be taking advantage of cheap air fare to take some long weekend trips to Florida so we can dive every few months (at least).

That is as soon as I get done fulfilling her shopping list of scuba gear.

Funny enough - my latest Google search was for "Florida Dive Vacations"

We did decide this week that we will be taking advantage of cheap air fare to take some long weekend trips to Florida so we can dive every few months (at least).

That is as soon as I get done fulfilling her shopping list of scuba gear.
That seems to be the only drawback you will have - every bit of kit needs bought twice (not necessarily in the same colours though)!

Before this trip she was very adamant:

"I'm only diving once a day, you can do the afternoon dives, I'll sit on the beach"
"I don't want my own gear, I'll just use the resorts"
"Gear is too much money - we have enough hobbies"
"We're only going to dive one week a year"

Now:
"I want my own computer"
"I want my own camera"
"We need slates so I can tell you stuff under water"
"I need a noise maker to get your attention"
"Let's go to Florida to dive over the winter"
"Why did we wait so long to do this?"

I'm OK with the buying gear - even twice - especially if it means we're going to get to go away more frequently to use it.

Buying gear twice? I wish! I have five kids, my two oldest (15 and 14) are both certified, as is my wife. The next oldest is nine, he'll certify on his birthday in a few months. Right now he goes to sleep with an open water book every night. My garage looks like a dive shop. Of course there are worse things, right?

It's a blessing to have some of the funnest dive buddies be my own family. Congrats on beginning a lifetime pursuit of good diving.

Congrats on the certs. and successful trip. I haven't met many of those poor divers so often mentioned on SB since most of my diving has been limited to Canada and the North Gulf of Mex. coast. I did run into one a$$hole from Spain on my one trip to Panama. Maybe it's a tropical thing. You know, those "vacation divers", as they say.
My equipment advice is to rinse it always and try to make it last. I dive as a single, as my wife is unable for a couple of reasons--so the expense is minimal. Sometimes she talks of going here or there in the Caribbean, but most of those places don't allow shell collecting, which is my big thing. But we manage to find a good compromise where she enjoys it and I can get in some diving.

Back
Top Bottom