First Dive with Uwatec SmartPro Wrist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought a Smart Com but it still hasn't been delivered. I am reading the manual and I think I understand about the altitude adjustment feature but I am having a fog about one thing. It says it 'tests' or senses the altitude and switches on when an adjustment is needed. As anyone flown with one in their luggage, what effect does this have, or has anyone drove up the mountain with it turned off to see if it switches on automatically?
Forgive me if these are stupid questions but as a pilot who plans on carrying it with him on trips, I am having a hard time understanding that area of the manual. I am also trying to get an answer from Uwatec.

I dive an air nitrox z and love it. I also strap it close to the elbow as well. One of the reasons of this also is that if it comes loose it has alot further to go till it slips off. I have 50 dives on it and it has lost 2 percent of it's battery.

Matt

AggieDad:
I just bought a Smart Com but it still hasn't been delivered. I am reading the manual and I think I understand about the altitude adjustment feature but I am having a fog about one thing. It says it 'tests' or senses the altitude and switches on when an adjustment is needed. As anyone flown with one in their luggage, what effect does this have, or has anyone drove up the mountain with it turned off to see if it switches on automatically?
Forgive me if these are stupid questions but as a pilot who plans on carrying it with him on trips, I am having a hard time understanding that area of the manual. I am also trying to get an answer from Uwatec.

I don't know if this will translate to the new Smart Coms, but I have an ollllld (Uwatec made) Monitor 2+ which is an Aladin Pro in a Monitor 2 housing (computer downloadable and all!). Like I said, this is like the old Aladins, not the "Smart" ones. I have carried it on several flights and shortly after take off the screen will blink on and start a count down until I am "off gassed" from my time on the ground, even if I haven't been diving in months. At cruising altitude, the countdown works just like I had been diving, then as we descend the amount of time "need to off-gas" starts dropping by minutes at a time so that by the time we land that time has dropped to zero and the computer will simple shut back down and return to its normal sleep mode, since it is always on and recording any ambient pressure changes such as airplane flights or a drive up into the mountains to do an altitude dive. And for the 3rd time, this is on an old Monitor2+ not a Uwatec Smart computer...

what info do the uwatec's have on their main display underwater? and does it have a gauge mode? IR-to-palm does sound pretty useful...

lamont:
what info do the uwatec's have on their main display underwater? and does it have a gauge mode? IR-to-palm does sound pretty useful...

For the Smart...
http://www.uwatec.com/imperial/framem03.htm
shows a pretty full boat of the display... there is also a basic simulator window at the site.

Basically, current depth, time, max depth, temperature, remaining time prior to incurring deco obligation

If the situation generates the need, it will display your (next)deco stop depth and time along with a calculated approximate remaining ascent time.

Yes, there is a guage mode on the Smart Pro

I find the palm-IR to be very useful, too.

Bought a Smart Com early this year and except for a few details I don't like, I'm happy about it. Have e-mailed Scubapro about them, but I guess their Product Marketing don't pay attention or my e-mail was lost. Anyone have an a-mail address of their Product Marketing?

About the altitude-thing. Have you read the explanation on the homepage of Uwatec? Would think that is what you are looking for... In other words, you have a computer that tracks and use your "altitude history" to calculate desaturation time to equalize the nitrogen pressure in the body to the nitrogen partial pressure in the ambient air. Funny with modern electronics - "off" is a relative term... The URL is http://www.uwatec.com/english/SPEC-KR.htm; then select "Altitude adaptation time".

As a pilot, it may also be of insterest for you to read how Uwatec decided to calculate the no-fly time. You will be "out the envelope" from complete loss of cabin pressure until cabin reaches an altitude of 15900 feet... Normal (no-O2) unpressurized flight is inside the envelope. See under FAQ section; "How is the no flight time calculated?"

Rgs,
Peter

AggieDad:

baerentp:
Bought a Smart Com early this year and except for a few details I don't like, I'm happy about it. Have e-mailed Scubapro about them, but I guess their Product Marketing don't pay attention or my e-mail was lost. Anyone have an a-mail address of their Product Marketing?

About the altitude-thing. Have you read the explanation on the homepage of Uwatec? Would think that is what you are looking for... In other words, you have a computer that tracks and use your "altitude history" to calculate desaturation time to equalize the nitrogen pressure in the body to the nitrogen partial pressure in the ambient air. Funny with modern electronics - "off" is a relative term... The URL is http://www.uwatec.com/english/SPEC-KR.htm; then select "Altitude adaptation time".

As a pilot, it may also be of insterest for you to read how Uwatec decided to calculate the no-fly time. You will be "out the envelope" from complete loss of cabin pressure until cabin reaches an altitude of 15900 feet... Normal (no-O2) unpressurized flight is inside the envelope. See under FAQ section; "How is the no flight time calculated?"

Rgs,
Peter

Peter,
Thanks. I have been re-reading it and think I understand what they did. It just blew my mind that the computer would "come on" while in flight (I was thinking that if I dove soon after landing that it might affect my times). Interestingly also, my son is almost through with his certification and his instructor told them that it would probably be safer (IOW this is what they do) is to add approx 6 to 12 hours before flying. The main reason is increased safety because if someone starting feeling bad that there is not enough O2 on board for a longer flight. They are correct about that. The other day I was at 37000 feet and my cabin was at 5100 feet but I didn't have the computer with me to see what it would be telling me. I will do this later.

Dan

Corigan:
I dive an air nitrox z and love it. I also strap it close to the elbow as well. One of the reasons of this also is that if it comes loose it has alot further to go till it slips off. I have 50 dives on it and it has lost 2 percent of it's battery.

Matt
Matt--

Not specifically a question for this particular computer... but how do you strap it, and over what?

I assume it's not right on your elbow, but on your forearm. That being the widest part of your arm short of your fingertips, it seems like if a velcro strap did start to slip from there, there wouldn't be much to stop it before it was gone -- and you might not even feel it going.

If you're using a bungee, that might prevent this, or wearing it over a substantial suit...

--Marek

I just bought the SmartPro wrist and have done a little over 20 dives with it. I like it a lot. It is a little sensitive on the ascent rate but that's ok by me. I was diving with a couple of guys who had Suuntos, which they really liked also, and the Uwatec was a little less conservative. I didn't screw around with the microbubble stuff on this trip but its something I'll try next time.

Wait,,,, Uwatec is a little conservative than Sunnto? I am just curious.....

menemsha43:
I just bought the SmartPro wrist and have done a little over 20 dives with it. I like it a lot. It is a little sensitive on the ascent rate but that's ok by me. I was diving with a couple of guys who had Suuntos, which they really liked also, and the Uwatec was a little less conservative. I didn't screw around with the microbubble stuff on this trip but its something I'll try next time.

Back
Top Bottom