First DPV - Your recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont forget the X-scooter Long body if you are comparing the X and the N-19.

The standard X has less burn time, but only weights 35lbs compared to the N-19's 50lbs.

The Long body X is more comparable to the N-19 at 55lbs and has twice the burn time of the standard X.

Hey Ben,

Thought you guys at DX might enjoy some of our videos we've put together on the X. This is our latest after iflylow just got his in.

YouTube - 19 July 2008

Cheers on the excellent scooters!

Mike

Great scooters! We had a blast on that dive! That editor did a great job of making us all look good! Who was that dude???

There are now three X scooters on the island with one more guy thinking hard about making the purchase. We get questions at every dive site about the scooters too!:crafty:

Yes, the Mako is neutral.

All the best, James

Can anyone tell me, is the Mako fairly neutral? Thanks!
I added 1# to make my Mako perfectly neutral in fresh water.

Thanks, rjack321 and terrillja for your sharing your experience. Can more Seadoo DPV owners share their experience please? Your view are much appreciated.

I own two Sea-Doo Explorers. I have not used any other DPVs. I bought these DPV's second hand (2 for $700). There are many reliability features that I like. For instance there are water sensors in both chambers (battery and motor) , and if the DPV floods you will get both an audible alarm an visiual warning light then the motor will start kicking out. The DPV's are light weight and if they flood they are not difficult to tow as they are not heavy in water. The DPV are light enough on land for shore entries under calm conditions. For towing the DPV's I just attached a 4ft 1.5m line and towed it behind me both on the surface, and subsurface. I have used them sereral times going about a mile out and back with no problems in tropical waters. We have used the DPV for more than one diver. I agree these DPV's tradionally are for reconation only. I have been using them to search for the Okinawan Dugoon/Manatee so it is easy to cover a lot of area in a short period of time. The housing of one of my DPV's flooded near the engine compartment. The DPV is still operational unlike most dive camera's. I plan to clean the compartment with fresh water and add some silicon packs. We have taken them to 80' with no problems. The feature I most apreciate is the ability to tow a flooded DPV. I have towed one 1/2 mile with very little drag and effort.

The DPV offers three speeds. Slow is about the same speed you can fin. I fin slightly to help out the DPV and so save power. The middle speed is about as hard as you can fin with good fins, but you save a lot of air. On the fast speed faster than most people can fin, but tends to wear out your hands and shoulders. I recomend a V strap so you can rest behind the DPV. When transporting two people on fast the DPV moves at about the middle speed setting. We have mounted compasses on top of the DPV, and we have our air and depth on wrist mounted computers so it is not difficult to look down and check your dive profile.

Barracuda Smile, I'm glad tht you are pleased with your Explorers; however, a range of 2 miles is well beyond the Explorer's nominal performance. And at 90-100 minutes to run that distance, well beyond the duration of a single tank.

Is it possible that you're mistaken about the distance? I've taken the Cudas 1 mile off shore, and it is very intimidating when you surface to take a look back at land.

My experience has been that unless folks use Google Earth, they usually overestimate distances.

All the best, James

Barracuda Smile, I'm glad tht you are pleased with your Explorers; however, a range of 2 miles is well beyond the Explorer's nominal performance. And at 90-100 minutes to run that distance, well beyond the duration of a single tank.

Is it possible that you're mistaken about the distance? I've taken the Cudas 1 mile off shore, and it is very intimidating when you surface to take a look back at land.

My experience has been that unless folks use Google Earth, they usually overestimate distances.

All the best, James

James,

You are correct that I did use google earth to estimate distance. You are also correct that it is beyond the duration of one aluminum 80 tank. I am in the military so I am used to looking back at land from a mile out. Let me explain. I am searching for the Okinawan, Dugon a relative of the West African Manatee which are suposed to be extinct on Okinawa. I entered on a sandy beach with the water tempurature about 84F with a fully charged battery. I used the DPV on the surface to conseve air untill I got to the outer reef. Using google earth map tool post dive, the outer reef where I went subsurface is approximately 3/4 a mile away. We dove the channel with the DPV's using steel 120's High Pressure with 3500 PSI. We used the DPV's occationally on the dive but it is easy to swim with the DPV as its weight/nor its size does not make the DPV a liability. Finally we used the DPV subsurface to return to shore, and still had plenty of battery power at the end of the dive. So I estimated that we easily traveled 2 miles total distance. I fin slightly as I use the DPV so as to conserve DPV power. With my Steel 120's I can get 2 hours of bottom time (fining with out the DPV) (I usually get board/cold/shirvled before I run out of air on the DPV's) at the depths (<80')that we are looking for the Dugoon's. I hope this helps.

Article from PADI's Sport Diver Magazine

Experience triple speeds and performance with the revolutionary SEADOO® SEASCOOTER™ Explorer, the latest in its series. The new SEADOO™ Explorer SD6541 DPV features 3-speed selection and packs thrust to cruise up to 3.3mph, submerged or simply snorkelling. The Explorer is rated to reach a depth of 160ft and weighs just 32 lbs including the battery! This makes for easy portability and means the Explorer is the sleekest, most lightweight DPV available right now. Extra included are four ballast weights that allow you to adjust the buoyancy of the scooter by simply inserting or removing them in the handle to your own comfort level. New improved safety features such as battery-voltage status indicator, over-current protection and an –underwater- audible alert in case water enters the unit accidentally, all provide additional piece of mind. The Explorer package also includes a long-life Explorer battery plus stand-alone charger base. Experience The Speed, Power and Excitement of the SEADOO® SEASCOOTER™ Explorer!

Also check out this article

The SeaDoo Bombardier DPV

Thanks for the explanation of your typical dive profile.

I was just pointing out that the typical range of the Explorer is 1 mile or less, depending on diver skill. You explanation appears to match this, with the amount of finning you do.

The speeds noted in your link are expected given the methodology. I'd look for real-world speeds to be quite a bit less.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom