First Ocean Dive and its Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaPixie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Farmington Hills, MI --> Weeki Wachee, FL
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey everyone,

Well.. Im so excited, I have planned my first overseas diving trip - Bonaire. :palmtree:

I am a preety new diver - I have been certifed since June of 03 - but have done quite a bit of diving in that time I think. I have 38 dives so far but all are cold water.
I have Dove the Great Lakes, and a couple deep wrecks, alot of quarry diving. My first diving salt water experiance was at the Living Seas in Epcot - so im not sure how much that counts.. I guess its kinda like an indoor quarry, but I cant wait for the warm water....and my first big :jaws: HeHe.... :11:

I would love some feedback from anyone who has gone to Bonaire, I will be staying at the PlazaResort.. It was recommend and seems to get good reveiws other places.
Also would love to hear fav dive spots.. if ya have any. :wink:

Hi AquaPixie, Bonaire is a great place for a first dive trip. You'll really like the Plaza, we stayed near there not quite two years ago. Bonaire was my wifes first dive trip, it's easy diving and the real ocean is a awesome place. I live across the state from you and have dove quite a bit in the Great Lakes and inland lakes. The colors and species in the ocean far surpasses the lakelife here. Of course we have some great wrecks but we like the reef better. One day while we were at Bonaire, we walked to the Plaza and I rented a sailboat off the beach to sail for a couple of hours, we had a blast. Also we rented a car and drove over to LacBay and watched the windsurfers and kitesurfers.
I hope you plan on night diving, it is interesting how the reef changes at night.
When are you leaving and are you planning some boat dives?

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Bonaire is the worse place you could have chosen as your first ocean dives :) . ......you will be spoiled for life. Just kidding, I just got back from my 6th trip and have a 7th planned for July. You can tell how much I like the island. It's a great place and the diving is very easy. There are not too many big animals but tons of med to small fish. The island has good food and great people. I have not stayed at the Plaza but I have heard lots of good things about it. If you have not already, come join us on the Bonaire board. www.bonairetalk.com You can get any question answered about Bonaire answered there or drop me a PM, always glad to help with the island. A search on the BT board for "first time " should turn up a lot of good info.

AquaPixie - when are you going?? We've got our first trip planned there for May 6-15 ....

Kathy

Hey Kat..
We are going June 23 to July3....Let me know how you like since you will be there ahead of me

Too bad ... though you might be there the same time as us .... Oh well - I'm sure to post a trip report, and will let you know how it goes!!

Kathy

Great place for newish divers and a first warm water ocean trip. After what you've been diving you will find it ridiculously easy. Bonaire was my first warm water trip too, aside from a few days in the FL Keys.

Here's a tip - watch your depth. It should go without saying, but going from cold & low vis at home to warm clear water the first time, I suddenly found myself at 80 when I hadn't planned on it. You may not "feel" as deep as you are.

AquaPixie:
Hey everyone,

Well.. Im so excited, I have planned my first overseas diving trip - Bonaire. :palmtree:

I am a preety new diver - I have been certifed since June of 03 - but have done quite a bit of diving in that time I think. I have 38 dives so far but all are cold water.
I have Dove the Great Lakes, and a couple deep wrecks, alot of quarry diving. My first diving salt water experiance was at the Living Seas in Epcot - so im not sure how much that counts.. I guess its kinda like an indoor quarry, but I cant wait for the warm water....and my first big :jaws: HeHe.... :11:

I would love some feedback from anyone who has gone to Bonaire, I will be staying at the PlazaResort.. It was recommend and seems to get good reveiws other places.
Also would love to hear fav dive spots.. if ya have any. :wink:

HI AquaPixie!
I love the Plaza Resort. I have stayed there twice and will be there again this year in September.
I'm not sure why someone said Toucan dive, the dive op at the Plaza is too far from the beach. They leave FILLED tanks on the beach 24/7 for divers to use anytime, so it doesn't matter how far they are..which to me isn't far anyway.

If you do use them (they are rated in the top 10 of the Caribbean, for dive ops)
Please tell Ramón the manager, Natasha says Hi!

As for favorite dive spots there are quite a few.

Be sure to dive the Hilma Hooker if you're comfortable with a bit deeper wreck dive (80 to 90 feet down)
Also another favorite of mine few people ever mention. It's called Pink Sands. And yes if you pick up the sand underwater, and rub it together in your fingers, you will see the pink color to it!
Have fun.
You picked a great place to dive!

Wish you were a week later so we could dive together, oh well we can wave at each other at the Airport. We are down July 3-10.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom