First OW dive this weekend! getting nervous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Becarefull, it's addictive!!!

Good friends and good info. What could be better?!?!?!?!

P.S. - Don't forget to fill out your profile.

just wanted to thank everyone for their warm welcome and advice. after reading some of the posts on the boards i felt better about my fears of mask clearing. i just keep telling myself that i CAN do it and i'm not going to let this stupid fear of mine get in the way of my diving!! i even got in the bath tub last night with my snorkel and practiced breathing without a mask. it took a few tries before i stopped getting water up my nose - but it worked!

leaving tomorrow for FL for my certification dive. TOTALLY EXCITED!! i hope the weather is good - don't want to go to Vortex Springs. i've heard it's COLD!

Welcome to the board. My friend Grier has given you a great source to relieve the stress of what's probably the most difficult scuba skill to master. I can vouch for its effectiveness!!!

viridian1:
just wanted to thank everyone for their warm welcome and advice. after reading some of the posts on the boards i felt better about my fears of mask clearing. i just keep telling myself that i CAN do it and i'm not going to let this stupid fear of mine get in the way of my diving!! i even got in the bath tub last night with my snorkel and practiced breathing without a mask. it took a few tries before i stopped getting water up my nose - but it worked!

leaving tomorrow for FL for my certification dive. TOTALLY EXCITED!! i hope the weather is good - don't want to go to Vortex Springs. i've heard it's COLD!

I'm too lazy to read through the previous posts in this thread so you may have heard this advice already. Just breath as you would sucking air through a straw (do right now), problem solved...........have fun.

I DID IT!! I'M CERTIFIED! had no problems with clearing my mask thanks to all the great advice from fellow board members!

in fact, mask clearing was the least of my problems. on the first day, seas were about 4-6 feet with 6-8 foot swells. we were getting our butts kicked going up and down the anchor line around the 15 foot mark. very strong surface current. another boat in our area lost 2 divers in the current (didn't drown, just carried away) and found them 4 hours later.

second day - weather was worse - so it was off to Vortex Springs. COLD!!! finished up the rest of our required dives/skills and had 1 tank leftover. so my husband and i did our first unsupervised dive. it was great! cold - but great!

Congratulations!

I thought that doing the mask removal/replace was easier on my OW cert dives at depth than it was in the pool.

Glad to hear everything went OK.

Enjoy your new addiction!

CONGRATS!!! We all knew you could to it - you just had to know it too!

Becky

viridian1:
I DID IT!! I'M CERTIFIED! had no problems with clearing my mask thanks to all the great advice from fellow board members!

in fact, mask clearing was the least of my problems. on the first day, seas were about 4-6 feet with 6-8 foot swells. we were getting our butts kicked going up and down the anchor line around the 15 foot mark. very strong surface current. another boat in our area lost 2 divers in the current (didn't drown, just carried away) and found them 4 hours later.

second day - weather was worse - so it was off to Vortex Springs. COLD!!! finished up the rest of our required dives/skills and had 1 tank leftover. so my husband and i did our first unsupervised dive. it was great! cold - but great!
Congrats!!!!! Keep on learning...."a good diver is always learning"

Congrats!!!

Great work. I'm glad to see that you worked through your concerns. With the dive you described, you must have had your skills pretty well-honed to finish your cert.

Now you can come down to South Florida and dive with Scubaguy62 and me and all of the rest fo us other Florida Conch Divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom