First reg purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C0N3RY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Well here it goes...
Scubapro Mk25/G250HP
Atomic M1
Oceanic Delta 4 FDX10

I been driving myself crazy. I've narrowed it down to these choices (other suggestions are welcomed) but i can find parts for these where I live and also in places that my family likes to travel. The reason I decided not to buy a cheaper reg is because I know in a few years I'll want a more expensive one anyways. With work and school it's hard enough to save up but due to lakes being frozen over where I live, I'm not in too big of a hurry. But I plan on preparing this summer so next year when I'm 18 I can become a divemaster. I'm also very interested in tech diving of all sorts. So I guess, really, i just want a reg that can do it all. Just wondering what you guys think or if you have any experience with any of these.
...Sigh but then it starts all over again when I want a dive computer.

Well here it goes...
Scubapro Mk25/G250HP
Atomic M1
Oceanic Delta 4 FDX10

I been driving myself crazy. I've narrowed it down to these choices (other suggestions are welcomed) but i can find parts for these where I live and also in places that my family likes to travel. The reason I decided not to buy a cheaper reg is because I know in a few years I'll want a more expensive one anyways. With work and school it's hard enough to save up but due to lakes being frozen over where I live, I'm not in too big of a hurry. But I plan on preparing this summer so next year when I'm 18 I can become a divemaster. I'm also very interested in tech diving of all sorts. So I guess, really, i just want a reg that can do it all. Just wondering what you guys think or if you have any experience with any of these.
...Sigh but then it starts all over again when I want a dive computer.

If you are going to dive in cold water you May Be Better off with the ScubaProMK17/G250 vintage sealed diaphram.
the regs you mentioned are also good overall choices.

Of the 3 my vote is for the Mk25/G250HP.

But a little advise to the 17yo new diver strapped for cash, start simple. No matter what you want right now, you'll want to upgrade. There's nothing wrong with a Mk2+/R295 combo. In a few years when you want to upgrade and the LDS gives you a nice discount for being a DM, then buy the latest and greatest. This way you'll have more money for that computer. :)

I vote for the Delta 4, ive seen people take it under the ice and have no problems, all those regs are good choices but id go with the delta 4.

But a little advise to the 17yo new diver strapped for cash, start simple. No matter what you want right now, you'll want to upgrade. There's nothing wrong with a Mk2+/R295 combo. In a few years when you want to upgrade and the LDS gives you a nice discount for being a DM, then buy the latest and greatest. This way you'll have more money for that computer. :)

This is excellent advice. Unless you're on a trust fund, save your money. You'll still enjoy diving with a functional inexpensive reg; most of the divemasters that you are aspiring to be like could care less what reg they use, as long as the shop is buying it!

Well as of right now, I've got the whole you pay half and I pay half thing going for me. And I've got like 3 to 4 hundred saved up so far. My dad knows I love diving and he's willing to help me out. We're trying to plan a trip to cozumel to do some wreck diving but I also intend to do some ice diving next winter. I was talking to the guy at my LDS and he really recommends the scubapro reg. He said that their vintage regs were amazing and that this one has gone back to the older design. It is an authorized oceanic dealer but he doesnt like their regs for some reason. But I can find the delta 4 for some great prices on the internet. Also, what does pneumatically balanced refer to?

The current SP reg that has gone back to vintage design is the G250V, not the G250HP which you listed in your first post. I bet that's what the guy was talking about. There's a big difference.

If the reg tech that works at the LDS thinks that highly of older SP regs, maybe he would agree to help you buy one used and rebuild it. You could find a MK10 G250 (the one the G250V is modeled after) for about 1/2 the price, or less, of the MK25/G250V new. The MK2 has not changed much in decades, so that's quite a bit like buying a "vintage" SP reg.

Of course it's your money and you would be getting a good reg. One thing to consider if you're planning on extreme cold water, like ice diving, is the MK17 instead of the MK25. It has a better cold water reputation. The guy at the LDS should know that.

Good luck, and save some money for actual diving!

What great options. You can't go wrong with these. My wife and I use Atomics. Love 'em. Any of these should last you for many years.

Ya know after lookin' around, I thought, maybe a cheaper reg wouldn't be so bad after. I looked at the aqualung titan. Almost all of the dive shops near me carrie them and most use them for their rental regs. So it seemed like a good idea to me. But I've been looking at demo regs and i can find delta 4 demo regs for a little over 300 bucks. The titan with out the environmental seal is only 100$ cheaper. What exactly does a "demo" reg entail? Would that be a good deal?

"Demo" can mean any number of things. It can mean it was the store display model that has never seen water, it can be the reg the store let potential buyer use in the water to see if they like the reg, or it could have been the owners reg that he swaps out every year when a new reg comes out. Customers often buy what they see their instructors/DMs using, so this is somewhat common.

If the store was willing to service the reg before handing it over, I'd buy a demo reg for a nice discount.

Back
Top Bottom