First time buying a computer... HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Michelle,
Like others above, I say definitely get the analog SPG regardless of whether you get a hoseless transmitter or not. You'll have to call the dive if your computer malfunctions or floods or dies as you shouldn't be guessing how much air you have. And unless you're loaded, good nitrox computers (such as Oceanic Veo250, Aeris Atmos 2) start at $250. It's probably only a matter of time that you get nitrox certified, so you might as well get a nitrox-capable computer now. I regret gettting my first air-only computer when many diving friends advised me to get a nitrox capable computer.
Dive safely.

Scuba Do:
Newbie here, so pardon if this seems obvious. I seems to me that the advantage of the wrist computer is that you don't have that hose, but if you have an non-air-integrated wrist-mount, you need the SPG, and, therefore, still have the hose. In addition, you now have to look in two places for your critical information. If you are going to have an SPG, why not have the computer with it (for instance, a VEO-250 console with the SPG)?

Wrist computers have been around a lot longer than the wireless technology. The advantage of a wrist computer, for me anyway, is so that I have the information on it - time and depth - readily available to me, and so the computer is almost always at chest level. I hardly look at my spg, and when I do look at it, it's just to confirm I have the air I think I have. As your experience grows, you'll find that the spg is just a back up to your brain and any air leaks you may not be aware of. I'm usually less than 100psi from where I think I am so I'll only look at my spg every 5-10 minutes, depending on the dive. I don't like the console computer because failure means no more diving. If my wrist computer fails, I can still dive tables or the wheel, or even better yet, pull out my other computer. :D spgs don't fail like computers do.

micks:
Hi,

I've ultimately decided on a wrist computer... But what I don't get is... Do I also have to buy a pressure gauge? Or will the wrist computer do the guess work on how much air is left in my tank? Is that safe? I found some hoseless wrist computers but they're so freaking expensive!! Help me, what should I do? What should I buy? I want to feel safe with my computer and knowing how much air is left, I also like the idea of having a compass in my computer as well.

I know that was a load of questions... Sorry :blinking:

Michelle

I have three air integrated Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus computers. They are more expensive than a wrist mount computer with a pressure gauge but less expensive than the hoseless models. My wife, son, daugher-in-law and I have used these computers with no problems for the last five years and they give you all the data in one place.

I also dive with a wrist mount Vyper and a SPG and have no problem monitoring my gas supply. I look at my SPG a couple of times during the dive. This comes from diving a lot and getting and learning how much air you use during a dive. After an hour long dive I know that I am going to surface with between 800 and 1000 psi when I'm using a LP 95.

I see a few people using the hoseless models but they run 2 -3 times the cost and the HP hose has never gotten in my way. I keep it clipped off to my left hip D-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom