First Time Diver.. Need equipment advice..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superman4388

Registered
Reaction score
I have recently signed up for a basic dive class through my university and I have a few questions on dive equipment.

1. I got off the phone with the local dive shop that is doing the class, and got the whole speech about buying locally and being able to try the stuff on. While I want to support them, I dont really have money too. Is a local dive shop worth the extra cash?

2. I'm looking at the following options for equipment: Thoughts?

Fins:
Aeris Velocity XP Scuba Dive Split Fin - Blow Out Sale! - Compare to Oceanic V16: at JoeDiverAmerica.com

Mares Raptor Split Fin, Mask, & Dry Snorkel Package for Scuba Diving or Snorkeling: at JoeDiverAmerica.com

Mask:
Genesis SM7400 Quadra Mask

Snorkel
Genesis FS7000 Mojave Dry Snorkel

Boots:
Blue Reef Ultra 5mm Dive Boot with Zipper

3. Are there any brands to stay away from. I want to get decent quality without breaking the bank. Mares seems pretty legit from what I can tell.

4. Any other advice would be appreciated!!!!
Thanks you guys rock!

IMO - Trying stuff on is a must because fit is all-important. Trying it out in the water is also important, but nobody lets you do that with new gear. It would be better to rent stuff until you get a better feel for what you like.

I've tried all sorts of fins, including the latest new-fangled split fins that supposedly give you better propulsion with less effort. For me, nothing beats the Rocket or Jet fins made by Aqualung or Scubapro. I also like the new all-black face masks because they cut down on glare.

If you REALLY need to save money, you should try Craigslist. There are a lot of really great deals and the people you talk to will teach you a lot.

I don't want to get into the whole split fin debate.........but for what they're charging you could get

ScubaPro Jet Fins, Black

which may not be the latest fad in fins but have proven themselves over the years and will be usable in any diving situation no matter where your diving leads you.

As far as the mask goes you need to try it on - fit is the only thing that really matters with a mask. You may find that a very affordable mask fits your face properly but unless you're replacing an existing mask that you know fits ordering one on-line can be a hit and miss proposition.

A snorkel is a snorkel is a snorkel - are you saving any money buying online (after you account for S&H). Chances are you won't even be using it in a year (I wore mine for my OW course & not much since) but you don't need to spend a bundle. If you're going to use a snorkel toss out the hard plastic clip they provide and buy one of these.....

snorkel keeper - Search Results for snorkel keeper - www.leisurepro.com

rubber or neoprene works fine and they are less likely to break off at an inopportune time.

I agree with Mike up there - rent first. You might even see if your LDS has any kind of program to apply rentals to an eventual purchase. It's entirely likely that you may find that you really don't want to dive that much. Renting will give you a chance to perhaps try different brands and models and start figuring out what you like or dislike about each style.

Once you know what you want, figure out what you can get it for and see if the LDS can get any closer to the pricing you can find elsewhere- at least give them a chance to make the sale.

Then think about what you need in what order - for us, it was buying well-fitting wetsuits that made a big difference in the dive experience. BC & regs came later when we realized that we wanted to dive more often, and picking up rental gear was hindering that.

You really need to try on a mask, unless you are content to send things back many times before you find something that fits. There's no real predicting what will work with different faces, and a leaking mask is a serious stressor.

My personal opinion is that one should buy the cheapest, simplest snorkel out there, unless you do a lot of snorkeling, in which case one with a purge valve is actually rather nice.

As far as fins go, HERE is a recommendation for some very inexpensive fins that I've found to be fairly satisfactory for warm water diving. I prefer Jets, but these are much cheaper, if you are on a budget, and they work reasonably well for all the kicks.

As far as a good scuba mask; you must try it on and make sure it fits and seals well. I would not get one with side windows. You can get annoying reflections. I would get a tear drop low volume style. It is easier to clear and your visibility is much better.

I've had generally good service with Leisure Pro. I ordered my current mask from them and it works great. Maybe I'm just lucky. My wife has a very hard time finding a mask that fits well, so finding one at a local dive shop is better for her.

I use these fins and they are pretty decent for all around use.

I would try a split fin before buying them. I'm not a big fan of split fins. Some people are. I think it depends on how you like to kick. If you like to kick with a lot of fast strokes, split fins are probably better, if you prefer longer, slower, more powerful kicks I'd stick with traditional fins. I'm a bit surprised that there isn't much choice in the middle. To me it's the difference between riding a bike in high or low gear. Some people are just physically better suited for one or the other.

I have recently signed up for a basic dive class through my university and I have a few questions on dive equipment.
1. I got off the phone with the local dive shop that is doing the class, and got the whole speech about buying locally and being able to try the stuff on. While I want to support them, I dont really have money too. Is a local dive shop worth the extra cash?
Any other advice would be appreciated!!!! Thanks you guys rock!

Wow! superman is learning diving. Well welcome to ScubaBoard, even if you leave your super powers at the side of the pool. As a college student, learning a new world, not having enough money for everything is something 90%, at least, of us have faced. So to begin. . . hang on to your money, tightly, until you know that each piece of gear is the right piece of gear for you.

Most dive instructors, are spending lots of hours with you because he makes money for his work. If he gets a commission from the local dive store, and he helps you find the best value, there is no problem. He is teaching you about a new world, and if you believe he knows what he is doing. . . listen to him, or her.

Your first water work is usually in a pool. A mask, fins and snorkel, can cost less than a hundred dollars, to wow. A good fitting mask is the number one priority, fins and snorkel way, way down the list of priority. There are fashion masks, corrective vision masks, masks with multiple windows, low volume or high volume. . . Does it fit underwater. There is only one important consideration. . . fit under water. If you buy locally, and it leaks, you should be able to exchange for a good fit. Fins and snorkel can be from the rental bin, for years into your future diving, they are that unimportant.

After your classroom work, and finishing your pool training. . . you must have checkout dives in, usually local, open water. You don't say where you are. . . if your checkout dives are under the north pole, your next priority is a dry suit. . . If you're in more moderate waters, wet suit. . . and if in the tropics never mind, we're all envious. You probably know if you are a small, medium or large. . . there isn't an exposure suit made that fits like you think it should. If you have access to 5 brands of wetsuits, and can try on 5 different size large, there will not be two that fit alike. Before you buy, you have to try on every brand of suit in your state. How to tell, which one to buy. . . drum roll, you have to try the suit in the water!

As for which regulator brands, They are all very similar, because they're basically all copies of old designs, and all the "New", "Greatest", "Best", Kryptonite. . . they all are similar under the skin. Things to think about is future repair parts. US Divers and ScubaPro have replacement parts for many of their regulators from 30 years ago. Some brands can't fix regulators from 10 years ago. Your local dive store is the only repair person you'll be able to talk to face to face with. He will have access to training and parts for the brands he carries. . . be nice to him!:D

Spend all the money you can afford, buy, rent, even borrow. But put lots of money into AIR. That's right Blow lots of bubbles, it's the greatest bargain on the planet. A new class is offered "Underwater square dancing only $150. Buy AIR $150 worth of diving experience, is more valuable to your future than any $150 patch.

Listen to, or ignore as you choose. . . taking my first certification class, many years ago, the instructor introduced me as "that diving bum". and on my open water "check out dives, I taught the instructor and assistant instructor, how to find fish, and sent them home with "dinner". How new and shining your gear, how many stripes, color coordinated, how good you look strutting around the shore, changes season to season. My gear is from 1 year old, to 20 years old and everything is in good repair, and it functions very well. Some look at me and think I dive deep, or chase sea monsters or whatever they think an experienced diver should do. . . Not true, Experience lets you do the easy dives, very easily, and take divers to the parts of the lake where the diving is interesting, not dangerous.

Look around the board under the "Forums" button. Look for brands of equipment, things to do underwater, Regional travel for exotic locations, and definitely look through the photo gallery. Blow lots of bubbles and in twenty years come back here and give advice to the new divers questioning, what to buy.

I like split fins. I started with them. But short of basic maneuvers one can't do more advanced things with split fins (like going backward). (Well probably can but it is really hard.)

Welcome to SB! Hopefully you'll find this to be as great a resource as I did when I started diving.

(1) That depends on the LDS and you, really. As someone mentioned there's nothing wrong with comparison shopping and seeing if the LDS (if they are vastly more expensive) can work with you on a price. There are countless threads on buying locally versus online and the moral/ethical sides of each. Some advantages you may find buying locally, however (if your LDS is any good) are:

- ability to try gear on
- ease of return/exchange

I try to support the LDS I primarily dive and train though as much as possible, but luckily their prices have always been reasonable. I would suggest, if you get extensive help picking something out, that you buy it at the LDS if feasible -- I'm friends with the retail manager of my shop and trust me, they never forget the people who take an hour of their time and then show up a week later having bought the gear somewhere else =) Usually they remember it right around the time you need help with it or are negotiating a maintenance price ...

(2) None of the above. If you haven't started diving yet then you shouldn't be buying anything until you've test driven some gear. Everyone's different -- some prefer split fins, some not. Some love full-foot, some prefer heel-less (keep in mind if you go that route, you will probably want boots and spring-straps, which costs more money), etc.

TSandM gave you the best snorkel advice there is ... you rarely will use it, so don't blow the bank on it unless you plan on snorkeling a lot. A lot of people required to use them (PADI students, for example) seem to like pocket snorkels so that you can just cram the thing into a BC pocket when not using it. Your mileage, as with all scuba gear, may vary.

As far as buying a mask goes, this is where your LDS can shine (hopefully). I found a quick thread for you:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/136984-testing-mask-proper-fit.html

That's advice on finding a mask that fits. Hopefully they have a wall of these things at your LDS so you can just stand there and check them all out, and a test pair you can take for a swim once you find one you think fits right.

(3) I'm not familiar with any brand that people uniformly think of as terrible, but you generally won't go wrong with the well-known brand names (Mares, Zeagle, Scubapro, Oceanic, etc.).

(4) Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom