First time diving Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the input guys, will definitely look into all of the suggestions.

So what is the dive tipping culture in indonesia? Is there usually certain tip amount for each tank, i usually tip $10 for each tank dive.
I have been told that in Bali the salary is about $400 us per month for a DM. I have also heard that several good guides have left good jobs and have gone to work in Raja Ampat on liveaboards convinced that $1000 dollars for a week is the usual tip. Therefore $10 us per tank is way too much IMVHO. In a week I would give $100 us to the DM for very good service, $150 if it was absolutely outstanding and nothing at all if I am not happy.

I have also heard that several good guides have left good jobs and have gone to work in Raja Ampat on liveaboards convinced that $1000 dollars for a week is the usual tip.
Please clarify - that's the total tip from all the divers that week, yes? And how many guides were on the boat, and how many divers on the boat, in a given week, I wonder?

Please clarify - that's the total tip from all the divers that week, yes? And how many guides were on the boat, and how many divers on the boat, in a given week, I wonder?
No that is the tip from one couple to one guide. Of course it is hearsay, but I have heard it from more than one person, who I would trust very much.

No that is the tip from one couple to one guide.
So, $500 apiece. Interestingly, many liveaboard trips in Raja Ampat are longer than a week. From what I've seen online, prices vary, but base prices for a 10-day might run over 6 grand, but sales are fairly common. In a nutshell, a 10% 'cost of trip' trip per person might be in line with that, or a bit more.

Now, if people are tipping 10% of trip cost to the crew overall, and additionally coughing up a half-grand apiece tip to the guide alone...and some people think this is the usual mainstream (not just high-end boats) practice for customers on Raja Ampat liveaboards...then that needs to be brought out on the forum, because I would not have known that!

I have been told even when you tip a guide on the sly you can expect the money goes into the communal pot that is divided amongst the staff during Nyepi, Christmas, or Idul Fitri. This keeps things "fair" as if this were not the case, the senior guides would ensure they get all the Americans and the younger/newer guides would only dive with guests from cultures where tipping isn't on the menu. Obviously, this would create a less-than-idea work environment.

My own experiences:
I could never work out how the tip is being distributed among all the diving related staffs from land to the boat. The guide(DM) could be a freelancer and the boat was leased for a day or two because of demand.
Some operators have tip box which is GREAT. But would the freelancer DM and the crew of the loaned boat received a fair share of it?
It is never easy and fair but this is what I normally do:
1. With tip box: Most of my meager contribution goes to the box and the DM received extra. I hate it if I have to chase/find some of them because more than one of them were involved guiding me/group.
2. Without tip box: DM and the boat crew.

@matts1w mentioned a well known fact: American is very generous.
DM loves Japanese as well.

Guides and other crew members should never depend for a large part of their income on tips. Especially dive guides not. This habit forces them to dive at days when they re really not fit at all. And it creates unhealthy competition between the guides.

Before the pandemic our honeymoon was supposed to be a dive "safari" organized by Aquamarine Diving in Bali. Of course the pandemic changed our plans but eventually I'll get there and do this trip.
I organized one of those for my wife and me, and it wasn't difficult. I just booked separate stays at a few resorts around the island. There are drivers for hire everywhere. I just asked at each resort if they knew of a driver who could take me to my next stop, and sure enough, everyone knew someone.

As for tipping, I especially recall tipping the private guide at Liberty Dive Resort who dived with me for several days, seeking out whatever marine critter I fancied finding, but I don't recall how much. Certainly less than what we tip in the US. I also recall tipping the lady who carried my tank down to the beach on her head. Other than that, I probably put a few dollars in the tip box at each place that had one. Tipping isn't a big thing there, but there are times like I mentioned when you just know a tip is warranted.

So, $500 apiece. Interestingly, many liveaboard trips in Raja Ampat are longer than a week. From what I've seen online, prices vary, but base prices for a 10-day might run over 6 grand, but sales are fairly common. In a nutshell, a 10% 'cost of trip' trip per person might be in line with that, or a bit more.

Now, if people are tipping 10% of trip cost to the crew overall, and additionally coughing up a half-grand apiece tip to the guide alone...and some people think this is the usual mainstream (not just high-end boats) practice for customers on Raja Ampat liveaboards...then that needs to be brought out on the forum, because I would not have known that!

Certainly hasn't been anything that I became aware of whilst on liveaboards in Raja Ampat.

It could have happened, I suppose. Must have been one heckuva trip or the guide saved their lives or something.

I've tipped 10% to the whole crew and heard that was high on some liveaboard boats.

I'd hate to think that any tips that I've left in the tip boxes haven't been fairly distributed. I also like to give a bit of gear when I can and it will make the guide happy. Example: the guide had Mares fins but had broken a strap. I carry spares with the buckles, so was able to fix his immediate problem. He seemed very very happy.

Yeah i think i will still give tips. Always have and always will, unless I truly have a horrible experience. Maybe my tips will somehow help the locals and local businesses.

As far as dive guides. Would i need to hire my own dive guide? I know each dive there is a DM assigned but would it make a difference hiring your own guide?
I read on this forum that most dives end in 50-60 minutes or probably less depending who is diving with you. Would hiring a private guide allow us to have longer bottom time compared to a DM whos watching over a group of random divers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom