First time In florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrock29

Registered
Reaction score
Well The time is coming nearer and nearer. On July 17 I'm getting married. I managed to get my future wife to get certified and she is looking forward to her first ocean dives. We plan to stay in Key Largo (Tavernier) the last week in July at the Ocean Point Suites and do about 3 days of diving. I have been doing some research on local dive companies and from what I read there are lots of good operators around. My main concern is water temperature in the Keys in Late July. I'm a cold water diver (dry suit) and want to make sure that my wife is properly attired when we dive. I've been warm water diving in Cozumel over New Years and to Bali in November. Are the water temps similar? I wore a 3 mil shorty.

Thanks
Michael

mrock29:
Well The time is coming nearer and nearer. On July 17 I'm getting married. I managed to get my future wife to get certified and she is looking forward to her first ocean dives. We plan to stay in Key Largo (Tavernier) the last week in July at the Ocean Point Suites and do about 3 days of diving. I have been doing some research on local dive companies and from what I read there are lots of good operators around. My main concern is water temperature in the Keys in Late July. I'm a cold water diver (dry suit) and want to make sure that my wife is properly attired when we dive. I've been warm water diving in Cozumel over New Years and to Bali in November. Are the water temps similar? I wore a 3 mil shorty.

Thanks
Michael

Even a skin would be plenty for that time of year. Water temps will be in the low 80's. I wouldn't wear a shorty though. You need some kind of protection incase you brush up against something during the dive. I know we're all supposed to have perfect buoyance control but the fact is we're human, at least some of us, and we all screw up from time to time. The last thing you want is some nasty scratches from the local marine life to ruin your honeymoon.

Have fun.

BTW, my wife and I got married in the same place and stayed in the same hotel just a few years ago. We said our "I do's" on the beach at sunset.

Padipro:
Even a skin would be plenty for that time of year. Water temps will be in the low 80's. I wouldn't wear a shorty though. You need some kind of protection incase you brush up against something during the dive. I know we're all supposed to have perfect buoyance control but the fact is we're human, at least some of us, and we all screw up from time to time. The last thing you want is some nasty scratches from the local marine life to ruin your honeymoon.

Have fun.

BTW, my wife and I got married in the same place and stayed in the same hotel just a few years ago. We said our "I do's" on the beach at sunset.

Let me add - with water in low 80s, surface intervals in 80s to 90s, a Skin would indeed be plenty for most. If either of y'all get chilled easily, though, you'll be only 5 miles from one of the biggest dive stores in Florida and several others, so you can easily pickup a good deal on a 3 mil if needed. A good surface interval cap will help prevent chilling, too.

And I cannot think of any reason ever to buy a shorty. I see people wear them on boats, and I loan them my venigar...

Hve fun! don

Water temps will likely be into the mid-eighties (in Key Largo) during your stay. I've seen divers wearing everything from bathing suits to tropical dry suits in July.

I'll probably be wearing a 3mm shorty, and not bumping into things.

PM me if you need any info on staying and diving in Key Largo.

a 3mm is definatly overkill.....
I usually just wear shorts and a rash guard but if you want protection then go with a skin.

Water temps should be warm in July. Remember also that the sun can be brutal to light skinned people (like me => freckles). At thin full wetsuit can provide some protect against waterborn nasties and from mean ol' mister Sun. I would really hate to get sunburned during an SI or a ride to/from a dive site. Remember reflections on water and proximity to the equator.

Parkway makes a real nice one-half mil wetsuit that I love, and Henderson makes a Microprene 1 mil wetsuit that my buddy loves.

My half mil was marginal on December 27th, but it would be plenty on July. Below 72 degrees I wimped out and switched over to the 3 mil. Should be PLENTY for summer.
-------
Operators:
My buddy and I have used Horizon Divers in Key Largo several times, and we had no reason / no need to change as they have been great. Staff and facility are top notch.

I have heard a lot of good things about Quiessence also. I didn't dive with them, but I visited their shop and rented a BC when mine was not repairable. Again, the people I talked with at the store were very nice and were recomended by the Horizon Divers people for their store.

When you are in Key Largo, you need to stop by World Water Sports (I think that was the name) near Mile Marker 99. It is a huge Scuba store with tons of things to check out. Even if you don't want/need to buy anything, it is still a cool place to wander.

Just my two cents, and only because you asked,

Wristshot

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like water temp isn't going to be a problem. I'll book ours dives after I finish getiing the first details of the trip booked. Flights, hotels etc. Hope to have it done by the end of the month.

Thanks again

Wear a wet suit on the boat for sun protection in the Keys in July and you're likely to be a victim of heat s-t-r-o-k-e. (It's a medical condition, not an insult - this is silly) Don't even think about it. Wear sun screen, with a white t-shirt over your swim suit on the boat. A dive skin is excellent for protection against floating stingers, but if you're considering it for protection against brushing against things, go back to the pool and practice. Personally, I skip the sissy suit. Water temps will be pretty close to 85° F.

Wristshot:
When you are in Key Largo, you need to stop by World Water Sports (I think that was the name) near Mile Marker 99. It is a huge Scuba store with tons of things to check out. Even if you don't want/need to buy anything, it is still a cool place to wander.

Wristshot

For those who haven't yet heard, Divers Direct (formerly at mm106 bayside) has moved in with her sister store (World Watersports) at mm100 oceanside. The combined superstore is cooler than ever... no more running up and down the road to find an out-of-stock item!

When you visit World Watersports, be sure to say "hello" from the crew at BlueWater Divers!

Just one other consideration...the last week in July is mini lobster season. It gets really crazy in the keys, and you might find it difficult to get a room if you don't reserve one soon...
As far as thermal protection, a skin should be fine...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom