First time photographer photos at Anacapa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Susan, it does shoot video but it's really low res. Being a film/video guy, it would be embarrassing to show someone it. Especially if I have a master of compression at my disposal like Nico the Dragon here. And thanks for the education on the Nudi's they are truly fascinating and confusing creatures.

Nico!! Dude!! you found me!!! Nice detective work. I was just thinking that I have to send you the link for this thread. I'll take you out on a boat soon bro. Do you know anyone that has video cameras with housings? The HVX is huge right now. Hit me up when you're ready to dive and congrats on your certification!

Billy

Nice work, Billy!

I'm totally jealous of your GSB shots. I hope to see those guys when I go to Anacapa on the 18th. :)

I think your "sand shifting star" is a Spiny Sand Star, and those aren't Christmas Tree worms, but I can't recall the proper name. My ID book is at home.

Have you tried using the flash at all? You have to be REALLY careful about backscatter, but the internal flash can work wonders on macro shots. Yes, a full-blown strobe is better (and I'm still saving up!), but the internal flash should hold you for a while, at least for close-up work.

I'm going to have to start posting pics again one of these days...

Hey Kalani, I have seemed to drum up a bit of jealousy regarding the GBS. What a photo op! I'm so glad I had the housing express shipped to me, I had a feeling something crazy would happen. The problem with the housing is that it's big for the camera so the internal flash reflects through it right into the lens. Pretty lame. For $100 or so I can get a setup that will enable to mount my light cannon to the arm on my housing. I think that beats $500 for a strobe. I'd love to see some of your pics and thanks for the help with the ID.

Billy

Awesome shots they are great.

BTW what does "GSB" mean?

Thanks.

I miss my days of kelp diving and most of all my Garabaldi

Empty V I am jealous beyond words. I've been diving at Anacapa for 25 years and never seen a black seabass. Congratulations!!!!!

Very Nice 1st time pics!

parabolic:
Empty V I am jealous beyond words. I've been diving at Anacapa for 25 years and never seen a black seabass. Congratulations!!!!!

Thanks Parabolic, I don't want to rub it in but out of my measly 33 total dives, this was my 2nd encounter with GSB. I feel very fortunate to have had these experiences. We saw these beautiful beasts on the 4th dive of the day and I will always do the 4th dive because of it. It always seems that the craziest stuff happens on that dive, maybe it's because there's less divers in the water or the time of day or whatever. Regardless, something magical always happens.

Billy

I think I've found what this is, Halymenia Floresia which is a type of algae. Has anyone seen it or can anyone verify it?

RedAlgaeCCd.jpg

Thanks

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom