First Time to Coz - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK - i am headed down to Coz in a few weeks. What is the cheapest way from the airport to the blue angel? should i rent a car?

What I've been doing when a friend on the island can't pick me up is..
When you exit the airport building, follow the sidewalk to the right.
Walk off the airport property, There will be taxi's on the street. I find this the cheapest way to go.. Should be no more than $10.00 total..

OK - i am headed down to Coz in a few weeks. What is the cheapest way from the airport to the blue angel? should i rent a car?

Your main two options are airport shuttle and taxi.

Airport Shuttle is probably the cheapest way depending on how many people you are with.

I dont remember the cost of a taxi to blue angel but it's probably not too bad.

Renting a car can be expensive if you don't need it for the whole week. Depending on if you like walking or not, Blue Angel is really not a far walk from town. I'd skip the car or perhaps rent one for a day or two if you want to drive around and see the other side of the island (which I highly recommend).

Even though Blue Angel includes food, there are tons of good restaurants and bars downtown you can go to.

OK - My I'm trying to plan my first trip to Coz. Passports on their way. My local dive shop recommends Hotel Cozumel which seems to have dive packages and offers a inclusive stay as well as a breakfast option. For the inclusive it's around $800 for 4 nights - That's 3 two tank morning dives and 2 evening dives. Seems kinda pricey! What is the most economical way to do this and what dive shops are recommended down there? I will be taking my dive buddy so I am looking at about $1600 right now. Maybe just rent a room and pay for the dive when we get there? I will also be needing to rent a bc, regs, and tank/weights. Also would like to have a six pack - Don't like large cattle boats! Thanks in advance:D

Stay at Vista Del Mar Hotel located on the water downtown, walk to everything. $92.00 per night....tell them you want the better rate it may go to $72.00 per night.
These rooms are quite and clean with a good view from your balcony. Lite breakfast includeds, danish, coffee, fruit, juice.
link Hoteles Cozumel,Playas en Cozumel,Alojamientos Cozumel,Tarifa de Hotel|Vista del Mar

Dive with Aqua Safari, the dive shop is located next door to Vista Del Mar, Thier dock is right across the street. $75.00 fast boat two dive trip. or $70.00 slow boat two dive trip.
link: Cozumel Scuba Diving with Aqua Safari

Both places have very nice people to deal with.

I've never walked out to the circle to hail a cab as I carry too much luggage: 2 - 50# checked bags, 1 - 40# roll-on, and computer backpack is just too much. My routine after clearing Customs...
1: Turn right out of door, van ticket booth on the left - about $7 USD.

2: Make a head call! Watch for bano sign.

3: Go outside and ask for the van to your hotel, telling the driver you'll be right back as he loads your bags.

4: Grab a beer for the ride in the packed van

5: Be sure that your bags don't get off at an interim stop.​
You'll be there soon.

Do not engage the overly friendly people who swarm you as you leave Customs! They are time share salesmen and they even lie about their purposes. Just ask them to get the hell out of your way politely; if that fails, I growl. :mad:

I've never walked out to the circle to hail a cab as I carry too much luggage: 2 - 50# checked bags, 1 - 40# roll-on, and computer backpack is just too much. My routine after clearing Customs...
1: Turn right out of door, van ticket booth on the left - about $7 USD.

2: Make a head call! Watch for bano sign.

3: Go outside and ask for the van to your hotel, telling the driver you'll be right back as he loads your bags.

4: Grab a beer for the ride in the packed van

5: Be sure that your bags don't get off at an interim stop.​
You'll be there soon.

Do not engage the overly friendly people who swarm you as you leave Customs! They are time share salesmen and they even lie about their purposes. Just ask them to get the hell out of your way politely; if that fails, I growl. :mad:

I like your new photo Don, you look younger....and we've never met!

Last edited:
Thanks - No thats without airfare. Our airfare is around $400 per person. $800 to get there. From what I have been reading, I'm steering away from the AI. I won't be drinking that much. As far as the dives are they better on the south west end? If so maybe need to stay down there away from the crowds. Im going spring break! March 12-16

We'll be on island March 11 -16 @ Vista Del Mar & getting wet with Aqua Safari

Stay at Vista Del Mar Hotel located on the water downtown, walk to everything. $92.00 per night....tell them you want the better rate it may go to $72.00 per night.
These rooms are quite and clean with a good view from your balcony. Lite breakfast includeds, danish, coffee, fruit, juice.
link Hoteles Cozumel,Playas en Cozumel,Alojamientos Cozumel,Tarifa de Hotel|Vista del Mar

Dive with Aqua Safari, the dive shop is located next door to Vista Del Mar, Thier dock is right across the street. $75.00 fast boat two dive trip. or $70.00 slow boat two dive trip.
link: Cozumel Scuba Diving with Aqua Safari

Both places have very nice people to deal with.

I've stayed at Vista del Mar quite a few times and love it.. So close to town.
It's not a resort type place, more of a dive hotel.. I used to get a week at VDM with airfare from Austin for $480.00..:D

I like your new photo Don, you look younger....and we've never met!
Haha, younger than what? Actually that was a few years ago. I probly look older now to anyone other than myself.

So did HH get his trip planned? I got confused.

OK - What is the cheapest way from the airport to the blue angel? should i rent a car?
The cheapest or the easy way. We take the shuttle which is priced at about $8US per person. They will deliver you right to the front door in maybe 10-15 minutes. Some have suggested walking to the street and getting a taxi for around $5US. Sure other will comment on this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom