first time to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We used "Dive with Alison" and stayed at the Presidente last October. Both were excellent in every way. We will again be diving with Alison in October. She runs a very safe operation and she knows how to find the critters. We'll be staying at the Allegro this time with fingers crossed that it's OK. We plan on checking out other hotels while down there this time and maybe staying at others in the future. If we don't find other hotels to our liking and we don't enjoy the Allegro, we'll be back at the Presidente there after. If you need more info on Alison or the Presidente, drop me a PM. Have fun diving!

I dove with Alison just this August and had a great time. I wish I could have done some more, but I was on a cruise. If your hotel is close or on the way to the dive site she may pick you up on the beach. She made three stops to pick folks up after leaving the marina. I am sure it depends on the schedule. Dito what others said. If you prefer having your needs and or desires taken into consideration then Alison is a great option.

I'll add my recommendation for Alison Dennis (www.scubawithalison.com) I used her on a trip to Coz 4 years ago based on a recommendation from an employee of a dive shop in the Seattle area.

I was very pleased and have used her on each return to Cozumel (tried a couple of others and always came back)

You will be well taken-care-of

Rich Hagelin

richhagelin:
I'll add my recommendation for Alison Dennis (www.scubawithalison.com) I used her on a trip to Coz 4 years ago based on a recommendation from an employee of a dive shop in the Seattle area.

I was very pleased and have used her on each return to Cozumel (tried a couple of others and always came back)

You will be well taken-care-of

Rich Hagelin

thanks for the input, will probably use Dive with Alison

a good friend of mine who lives down there, just told me last week while we were there that allison is a very good operator, "a very personal dive" is how she put it.
I stayed at both La Ceiba and the the Occidental Grand on this trip, the both have 2 pools that are nice and the H2O in all was very warm. The Grand is all-inclusive, and pretty far south, the cab ride to town is almost $20 one way, but the boat ride to the reef from there is very short. see my trip report..."trip report. woo hoo"

sharky60:
a good friend of mine who lives down there, just told me last week while we were there that allison is a very good operator, "a very personal dive" is how she put it.
I stayed at both La Ceiba and the the Occidental Grand on this trip, the both have 2 pools that are nice and the H2O in all was very warm. The Grand is all-inclusive, and pretty far south, the cab ride to town is almost $20 one way, but the boat ride to the reef from there is very short. see my trip report..."trip report. woo hoo"

Thanks for the info. I've narrowed it down to Dive w/ Allison for sure. So now I'm just wondering what you thought of the La Ceiba. It looks like it is close to the Cruise terminal.... was it loud at night? Also how far is it from town,like is it walking distance? Also did Alison pick you up at their dock? I will be looking at your trip report next if I can figure out how.
Just figured it out.... thanks for the report and the restaurant info will be helpful as that is my second favourite thing to do on holidays.

We'll, no one else will answer you so I'll try. La Cieba has been purchased by El Cid and is being converted into time shares, so the last I looked there is/was construction going on.
It is a long walk into town, you might do it once in a while, but you won't do it often, especialy in and out.
There are three cruise ship piers, so lot's of opertunity to be near one. They tend to come in early and leave in the late afternoon. Middle of the week, there might be 12 or 13 in town at any one time. Might be none on a Sunday or few on a Saturday or Monday. If they leave late it might be at 8 or 9 in the evening. Tons of cab traffic on the street in front.

La Ceiba is close to the harbor where Allison, and most everybody else keeps their boat. Short cab to boat, longer to town. I have dove with Allison and I would give her 5 stars. If you are her only diver, she would pick you up. If she has five other divers, you might meet at the boat. If you stay south of the harbor, she would pick you up with the boat. How far north she might go to pick you up with the boat is between you and her. Nobody wants to go north and then turn around to go south.
Now, that I've given Allison 5 stars, and they are gold, I need to mention, you've talked about the Coral Princess. Lot's of people dive with Pepe out of the Coral Priness (near the golf course) and think that he is just fine. You've mentioned SCC. Lot's of people dive with the in house operation there and love it. In fact all of the places you have mentioned have good in house dive operations.
IMHO , you are right in the concern for the bored husband, so the next decision is how much money you want to leave with the cab union. Cab to town, cab to dinner, cab to dive, cab to entertain. WOW, lot of cab money.

adios don O

Chocoholic:
First Post, hope this is the right place. Been reading the posts regarding Cozumel and just wanted to know if anyone has used Dive with Alison? And which hotel has the nicest/warmest pool?

I was wondering why you wanted to know which hotel had the warmest pool and then I saw where you are from and I can see how that would be an important question. :D I haven't tried all the pools on the island but most of them are shallow so they are all probably warm. The sun is very bright and hot so it doesn't take long for a pool to warm up there.

The Hotel Cozumel http://www.hotelcozumel.com.mx/ has the largest pool on the island as well as a hot tub and another small pool at their beach club. It is also close to town about a 15 min walk or 3.00US cab ride.

no, it's pretty quiet at night, as the hotel caters to divers, most turn in early to get up for the next days dives. usually the cruise ships pull out in the early evening, and the noisy activity they create at Senor Frogs is usually over by sunset. we have never found it noisy at night in the 8+ years we've stayed there.
it's about 2-2.5 miles or so from town, a $4 cab ride. I usually just toss the cabbie a fiver. we have walked to and from town on many occations.
as far as i know Allison should pick you up at the La Ceiba's dock, all the other dive ops do, maybe e-mail her to make sure but I'm sure it will be no problem.
Ernesto's is just a block up the street from the hotel, by the way. the other restaurants i mentioned in my report are in town except for Coconuts which is on the Carribean side of the island, rent a jeep for the day and drive around the island, take your time, it's really not very far. There's not much over there but long streches of sandy beaches and a few bar/restaurants, but it's beautiful. If your interested in the Maya, San Gervasio (sp?) is a pretty nice late period site, no real big temples like Chichen Itza or Coba on the Yucatan, but you'll find it interesting if your into the culture.
Let us know if you have any other questions, that's we're all here for!

Back
Top Bottom