First time without an instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
IndigoBlue,

"AOW is a pretty good training course....."

Not usually, although I'm sure there are exceptions.

Due to the "freedom to teach" concept embraced by NAUI and SSI, some instructors have the freedom to tailor their courses to the students' specific needs. This is what I do.

I think of an AOW course as a progression from basic O/W and as a preparatory course for basic rescue.

As a progression from basic O/W, I like to transition the divers to diving from 50 ft or shallower, which is what I taught them in their basic O/W course, to depths of 50 to 100 ft now. Therefore deeper diving is a part of my AOW course, and I work-in BRW's RGBM air and nitrox NDL tables for deeper diving.

I also give them nitrox instruction and a nitrox C-card together with their AOW C-card, since diving in the 50 to 100 ft range is a nitrox range, in my opinion.

We also review the dive tables, and dive computer rules, to make sure they are diving their deepest dives first, and are allowing a sufficient surface interval between dives. We factor in SCR-RMVs as well and compare them to NDLs for deeper dives.

Then I like to introduce gear maintenance and field repairs. We take hoses off and put them back onto the 1st stage and tighten them. Then we check them to make sure they are tight before going diving. We tighten port plugs as well. I show them my field tool kit for scuba.

As a preparatory course for basic rescue, I like to cover advanced navigation topics such as navigation squares, search patterns, recoveries with lift bags and spools, and distance measurement by fin cycles. Then we all go out and do some night diving to put our navigation skills to work, as well as some search and recovery diving during the daytime.

Depth, nitrox, gear, nav, search, and recovery are the components that I emphasize in AOW. If a student then wants more, we can also do more.

jriderski:
My friend, everytime you dive is an accident waiting to happen.
Joe
This is only true in the same context as every time you ride in a car is an accident waiting to happen.

It would be difficult to find anyone that did not know someone that died in an auto accident. Yet most of us are not paralyzed by fear, we get in our cars everyday. Diving is a lot like driving in regards to safety. In both, if you follow the rules, stay within your experience, and pay attention to what you are doing the chances of getting injured are statistically insignificant.

Your first drive without a driving instructor should be a short drive in calm traffic, with good weather, in familiar surroundings. Likewise your first dives without supervision should be calm conditions that you’re used to. Just as your first drive shouldn’t be a trip around the Washington Beltway, your firs dives shouldn’t be in difficult conditions.

If possible you’re first unsupervised dives should be somewhere you’ve dived before and with a buddy you’ve dived with before. The biggest difference between supervised versus unsupervised dives is navigation. As a new diver, once under the water, I didn’t have a clue where I was. I just followed the Instructor or DM. Now I always keep track of where I am, it comes with time and practice. So it’s a good idea to make your first unsupervised dives somewhere where navigation isn’t important, like a quarry where coming up in the wrong spot only means a surface swim in calm water.

Follow the rules you’ve been taught, dive at an appropriate dive site, pay attention to what you’re doing and you should be fine. And there is nothing wrong with taking it slow! Using an entire tank on a platform to get comfortable is O.K. Then slowly venture out as you gain comfort and experience.

Have fun,
Mike

I think I also teach a pretty good advanced course, but I know that is the exception rather than the rule. Odds are someone with an AOW card is sadly lacking in skills and knowledge. More instructors need to do a better job.

I am not going to get into courses, your experience etc, only you know if you are comfortable with what you know or what you have done. As for Walter's course from the thread i started, well it does sound good (will speak to you about those kind of things tomorrow).

You should have had enough training so far, AOW or OW to be aware (particularly is you are reading threads off this board helping you to know where the courses are deficient and areas to think about) of troubles that can occur, hopefully if something were to happen you would recall your training. Other than that, we have only done two ocean dives so far, both to 70ft, with groups, but the DM did disappear (they gave us the prep on what to expect but didnt really lead), so we just hung out in our buddy pair and checked each other. We have only done about as many dives as you have, without the extra training, although we know we dont know everything and there is plenty there to catch out the unwary diver, a healthy dose of caution/double checking, preparation and forethought can do wonders. Also a respect for what is down there can also keep you out of trouble, start simple work upwards from that, dont touch things that are around you and particulary if your gut says no, then follow it!

If you start simple, build confidence, practice your drills and think about what you are doing, stay together, dont stop thinking, then you should be ok and hopefully prepared to get thru anything that comes your way. If in doubt get with your buddy and surface.

I suggest you find some people to dive with in your area that are well familiar with the dive sites, but not divemasters or instructors. Pretty soon, you'll become an expert in the local sites, and you can then be informally showing other new-to-the-area divers the ropes. Your local dive shop should be able to hook you up with some folks who like to dive your area. A bunch of new OW divers tackling a brand new site for the first time is not dangerous, but it's also nice to have someone with familiarity along.

Jim

First, I have to say that I have yet to dive without a DM or instructor myself. With that said, everytime I'm in the water I do NOT take faith in the fact that they would have the ablity to save my life if I were to get into trouble. From the very beginning of my quarry dives to now my 2nd ocean dive trip I rely on my own ability and training to save myself. Yes, it is conforting in the fact that someone experienced is there guiding you through, but I feel that I am solely responsible for my safety.

however ... caution and preparation in diving is always warranted - that goes without saying.

Extending the driving illustration ... many of us dive pros know of someone who died diving - for me it's a vast range from a marine biologist with over 3,000 dives (decompression related) to a student who died during open water certification (3rd dive - 4ft vis - got lost ran out of air). Why just 2 weeks ago someone died locally who was a member of a dive club I've dove with before - he had 100 dives experience and was rescue certified - (general concensus is health related).

TECHNICALLY speaking most major agencies on one hand tell you to keep learning and never stop, WHILE AT THE SAME TIME tell you after you get your open water certification you are ready to dive unsupervised.

The major agencies clarify this by adding you are ready to dive unsupervised - in dive equipment, dive conditions, and the dive environment in which you were trained. Most will admit, outside of pure unforseen occurance (accident), it is almost always these 3 areas that contribute the most to success or failure for ANY diver of ANY level of dive experience or dive education.

Instructors typically encourage new divers to continue their education. However any open water dive instructor knows that some students will go on their own after merely learning only Open Water Diving. This means most instructors know they have to impart an aweful lot of education and practical skills to prepare new divers. No pressure there.

I have always emparted to my students that one is not ready to be a dive buddy unsupervised, that they are not environmentally safe, that they are not properly aware, UNTIL they have been Rescue certified.

I find this thread interesting because after the certification dives, I have never had a dive with either a DM or some other leader.

I guess my approach to diving from the first class was to learn like I was in charge rather than depending on another persons navigation, etc.

I would like to thank all of you for your posts on this topic. I want you to know that when you post, you help many more of us than just the original poster.

I am a newbie to this board and to diving, having received my OW and AOW certifications this year. I have about 11 dives under my belt, but know I am not ready to dive without an instructor. Not because I have any fear of the water, in fact, I'm very comfortable there. However, there is always this nagging fear that "I forgot something." My routine just isn't perfected yet. As a result, I was questioning myself about this very issue, when should I go without an instructor?

I learned to dive in some cold dark water here in Michigan - not the Great Lakes. At times my visibility was less than a foot. I think this has something to do with making one feel uncomfortable. You can't see, so you're not sure.

I have two dives in where visibility was about 30 feet. One in a quarry for my deep dive for AOW and the one and only dive I did in Lake Michigan.

I leave for Hawaii on 1-24-04 for two weeks. I have 5 days of 2-tank diving booked during that time. These will be my first saltwater dives. Hopefully, I'll be able to gain a little more confidence by the end. I have fully informed the dive operators of my newbie status and the need to start out slowly. I have been assured they will take that into consideration when selecting the dives each day.

Thanks again, you've been a world of help.

Back
Top Bottom